PDA

View Full Version : Sharps stuck gas sleeve

WV SCROUNGER
07-27-2008, 08:32 PM
I have bought a "used" I.A.B. Sharps. It seems the gun was only shot one round and then traded to me...( now I see why)
The gas sleeve is frozen.....I have an expander extractor tool from pedersoli and have filled the barrel with oil and let it soak for 3 days,,,
it still wont budge with the extracter in the chamber and I am pounding on the extractor with a 1/2" steel rod inserted down the barrel....
I tighten the expractor up with a Pipe wrench,,,,,,it still knocks out.
WHAT IS THE " TRICK"
I can't heat the barrel and use the extractor cuz it has rubber bands on the extractor.....
should I soak it in KROIL? OR WHAT? will it shoot loose at the next range session? or burn my hand?

help!

Charlie Hahn
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
This might be a dumb question, but are you sure this has a sleeve? I thought the IAB had a solid breech area.

Charlie

R. McAuley 3014V
07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
CENSORED

MR. GADGET
07-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Maybe part # 39 CHROME CHAMBER.

I would not think that a few rounds would cause that. I shot mine maybe 75 times and could not find a puller to get it out and cleaned it the best I could and shot I another 50 rounds or more a month later then was able to pull it fine and clean it. Looked like new and no problem with it.
Still need to find a puller I'm using a brass case I fixed up to do the job.

WV SCROUNGER
07-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the replies !!! Thtat is the deliema.....I am not sure if there is in fact a sleeve in the breech....although my Pedersoli '63 does have a sliding sleeve that has to be maintained " clean".
I look at the face of the breech and can see a ring about 1/16 in wide around the chamber.....it looks just like my pedersoli which has the sliding sleeve........
I assumed the sleeve in the I.A.B was froze up due to fouling...so I put the extractor tool in the breech and sealed it up with wax then filled the breech with oil to soak for 2 days....
I then tried to break this " stuck sleeve" free by installing a Pedersoli sleeve extractor tool in the breech and a 1/2" steel rod down the barrel and pounded on it hard with a hammer.....The sleeve did not move...
I WENT THRU THIS PROCEDURE TWICE...still the " sleeve" would not move.
Many people have told me that this rifle does have a moveable gas sleeve in the breech and others say IT DOES NOT. And then some people say the sleeve is a " FIXED SLEEVE " that will not move.
One member on ANOTHER FORUM who owns a Farmingdale and a I.A.B
'63 said that the I.A.B company discontinued using the sliding sleeve in 1980.

1. True...iab does not mention the sleeve in the manual when speaking of cleaning procedure.
2. the sleeve is not on the exploded view of parts.
3. If there is a sleeve in the breech of this rifle...it wont move.
I am 250lbs and can sure whack a hammer HARD...Being a certified welder ..I have beat alot of metal...I can attest that this sleeve ( if its in there ) WONT BUDGE.

This rifle is relatively new.....post 2000.....I have come to the conclusion that there is a sleeve in the breech because you can see the protuding lip around the chamber......But it is a "FIXED SLEEVE" it is Not meant to move and dosent need any special cleaning procedure for cleaning....

I have been into muzzloadingfor 35 years,,,,but I am new to the
SHARPS...its DIFFERNT Animal....I have done alot of reading about the Sharps and I recall reading that one of the many brands were listed as NOT HAVING the sleeve...its been years since I read that and could not recall which particular Brand they were speaking of,,,,now I believe I know....
Since all the brands of Sharps currently produced DO HAVE a sliding sleeve in the chamber ( as did the originals) You would think that I.A.B would make special note in BOLD letters that their rifles do not incorporate this particular feature.......it sure would have save me alot of time and effort.
Once again fellers.....Thank you for your replies!!!!

Charlie Hahn
07-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Steve, Not sure where you are located, but my shop is now open, and I would be able to disassemble the gun and figure out what is going on. I am located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. If interested you can call at, 410-208-4736

Charlie

Lee Hoffecker
08-03-2008, 05:53 PM
I owned an IAB Sharps carbine years ago, and best I can remember it did not have a removeable sleeve, just a plate on the face of the breech block.

Lee

WV SCROUNGER
09-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Charlie....I might just be giving you a call...I finally got an email from the I.A.B. company and the Rep said ALL of thier sharps rifles have a sliding sleeve in the breech chamber. I also read in the original letters of Christian Sharps that his rifles were tested at the WHITE HOUSE in D.C
and the sleeve would freeze up....they would remedy this by soaking the breech in kerosene.....I have soaked it in oil for a couple of days with no luck...but I am now gonna try soaking it in Kerosene...
if it frees up fine...if it dont...I will try to shoot it free...
havent shot the rifle yet...its just been sitting in my "Junk" corner of the shop.

Scott Lynch 1460V
09-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Steve I have one that is a Sile Sharps made by IAB in the 1980's it has NO chamber sleeve at all. I have all of the original paperwork and box with the gun. The drawings with the gun show no removable or movable sleeve. Charlie told me that in the '80's IAB was making them with no sleeve because they did not know that the originals had one. Hope this helps. Charlie told me that an O ring mod can be made to the breechblock/flashplate to give you clearance for fouling and still get a gas seal between the plate and back end of the barrel. Scott

Charlie Hahn
09-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I will be at the Fort this weekend. Might have the booth open for a short time for tube sales and to look at some other repairs, here is my cell number 410-627-4726

Charlie