PDA

View Full Version : Henry Lube - Fouling at breech

Michael Bodner
04-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Well, I think I narrowed down the source of inaccuracy for my 45 LC Henry - It seems to be fouling out the first several inches at the breech (NOT the muzzle).

After trying multiple loads, different lead hardness, brand new brass, re-annealing older brass, and different primers, the only thing that effects the results is cleaning after every shot.

While cleaning, I noticed that its rather crunchy the first few inches at the breech. The rest of the barrel cleans easily...\

SO....

If you have (or had) a Henry, what lube are you using? Have you ever experienced this issue yourself?

Thanks in advance for you comments.

-Mike

Lou Lou Lou
04-30-2018, 04:45 PM
I have had good luck with both Lens and MCM lube from North East Trader

Michael Bodner
04-30-2018, 06:01 PM
I've been using MCM for years. I add a little beeswax to keep it firmer here in the Carolina heat...

-Mike

P.Altland
04-30-2018, 07:54 PM
I’ve been using a mixture of 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 Crisco and 1/3 wax toilet gasket (all by weight) for years with the Mav Dutchman bullet, cast at a BHN 8, in my 44/40. I have no fouling problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gjwarren
05-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Tamarack (beeswax n alox) & lard. Crisco goes bad & causes inaccuracy. Lard doesnt - wish I'd known years ago. I don't use filler. Crunchy sounds like cream o wheat In the mix. Also, long bullet with enough cannula to carry enough lube.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

efritz
05-04-2018, 11:42 AM
P. Altland has it pretty right. The only difference is I use SPG. Can keep an X ring group on the bench @ 50 Yds. and 10 ring at 100 Yds. The Mav Dutchman is the best with hard lead. I'm 9-10 Brinnell. Soft lead and 50 yds group opens to 4". Go figure. Hope this helps.

marv762
05-07-2018, 01:19 PM
i use spg with a 300 grn 45/70 bullet from beller bullet.com they are in king of Prussia pa. the only issue i have is fouling at the muzzle. i can get 12 shots off and then the fouling takes them where ever. i was thinking about a softer lube, but it shoots great till then and i don't want to start all over again good luck

bobanderson
05-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Fouling at the muzzle is a sign your lube has run out at the end of the barrel. I've seen it often with SPG and hot loads.

Thats why I have my own concoction.

ead
05-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Fouling at the muzzle is a sign your lube has run out at the end of the barrel. I've seen it often with SPG and hot loads.

Thats why I have my own concoction.
Yea, and if the lube has run out right ahead of the chamber that's really a serious lube problem.