PDA

View Full Version : Trimming 50-70 cases

Ted
04-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Hi,
I was looking for some info, I'm trying to trim 50-70 win cases down to 1.5". I have a rcbs case trimmer pro but they do not make a shell plate holder for the 50-70 (that I have found). I was thinking of using an end mill bit on a drill press to remove the extra case length. If anyone here has shortened 50-70 cases and doesn't mind sharing, what's the best way to do it?
Thank you,
Ted, 14 CVI

MR. GADGET
04-15-2018, 04:46 PM
What you trimming them down for?
One thought just to make a trim die, you could use a sizer die and cut the top off to a point you use a file to bring to square.
I have used a chop say to cut brass then use the trim die to true up.

Kevin Tinny
04-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Hello:

Went through this for Spencer cases and then had Rocky Mountain Cartridge do custom ones. Just GOOGLE them. If Cheri answers, ask her for their son, Kody. Lots noise in background so get written confirmation of everything. Never have had any issues, goofs, etc. First class, old fashioned work ethics outfit!

You should call and speak with Kody, who does the case making, at RMC and get a quote on finished cases because theirs might end up cheaper and annealed.

I have several different cartridge cases of theirs and in a tight chamber, are everlasting. Hard to improve on their work.

Forster makes a collet for its trimmer, but it must mate with oversized trimming cutter and pilot of mouth diameter, so best to CALL them. They are also first rate.

My guess is CUT to a bit over desired length any way that is easy and finish trim to length in Forster rig. The shortened case will have THICK walls and probably need inside reaming. Forster can custom make what is needed. THEN they will have to be annealed, which is another topic. Flame annealing can be tricky. Lead pot dipping works, but needs technique to be shared.

Regards,

Kevin Tinny

Ted
04-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas.
I'm making cases for a Joslyn

Charlie Hahn
04-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Because the tendency when cutting brass to grab, I would not recumbent the end mill in a drill press unless you have a sturdy machine with a bolted down fixture.

The annealed rim of the case makes this worse as far as grabbing. Making a holder for a case trimmer should not be a big deal, a lathe with collet is the best option.

CH

MR. GADGET
04-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Google some of the stuff on making 300 blackout cases.
Lot of info on making different brass cases like you want to do.
I have been using a jig and chop saw from Harbour Freight tools about 29$ and 3"
Works great on all brass.
I chop them.and then use a trimmer that lee makes. It can use shell holders so you could get better length average.

spadegrip
05-14-2018, 04:10 PM
I know someone in the New England region that can cut 50/70 brass to any length. I'm with the 34th Va. We will be at the Nationals and Glastonbury, or call 978-395-7980https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAA f8/9hAAABcklEQVR4XpXTPUvDUBTH4aR2c2hBQXGpTiIORhBcBOvg YKf0Awi 4Ggr1MVPIIrYdnEpShddHIyLi6AVXVxsRRDRwbi4KNgu4lCIv8 i/i6QRDzycy 09555LqOl5nhEUptPoJe1iDHU8oYlrlDw79m4QEbSLPexzsIc8 hDRm8YBjLpj4q8EgxQdab MNd4ghhQ2adIc1 ORAFEnWWfTDRp7GDfImlsIavKALLuqoqMGUCs4wHtagiQ5uc8k DyCOBKlP1k78QNTOZnMXCQRxWsbjl6iuskV41SQG2Gj9rikvcR 1WcgKFDBa1LOEUK56hqv8BUFV3SGWkVS9JQ6Dsv4wQ1DKMPORU vkm78BhdQMI1CTa5I0yrcwSFqFD SZ7DQesIkCG5S/JpkHYERQRmuNsrZ7Grc Ef8/Bcoslkfae8Wc7CUHZ TuAEBj86pHntjaDKXllPy6PW/gkKFaThwp/K87N8hDcQTTKKFTioSxqB8Q2BNX5JtAljwgAAAABJRU5ErkJgg g== (https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/).

Thanks

Lou Lou Lou
05-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Ted
do you know the 34ths campsite at the crossroads