PDA

View Full Version : Small Arms Approval List

762x51
04-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Can someone tell me where I can find the Small Arms Approval List?

Thanks,
Orin

Found it here : http://www.n-ssa.org/rules-forms/

John Holland
04-15-2018, 07:41 PM
Home page - Links - Rules & Forms - or https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54db881ce4b0486db510c47b/t/5a98827071c10b34a3d864d3/1519944305247/SAC-Approved-Arms-2018.pdf

Obi2winky
05-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Is there a reason why Whitworth rifles are not approved? Some rifles like the "Zouave" which may or may not have been actually used in the war is on the list but Whitworths are not.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

P.Altland
05-03-2018, 01:35 PM
From an earlier post regarding the "Zouave". Note Section C.

19.1 ACCEPTABLE SKIRMISH MATCH FIREARMS

a. Only original or reproductions of military firearms manufactured during the Civil War or prewar era, and which meet the criteria set forth in these rules, shall be used for competition.

b. Those arms must have been manufactured prior to 26 April 1865 in quantities of at least 100 arms each.

c. The arms must have been possessed by a US, CS, state, or local military authority during the American Civil War, but they do not need to have been issued to troops in the field.

Obi2winky
05-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Whitworth rifles meet those criteria, I believe. So if I had one, is it a matter of getting it inspected, since it’s not on the pre-approved list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.Altland
05-03-2018, 02:09 PM
The Whitworth and Volunteer rifles are not approved for use in N-SSA competitions.

Obi2winky
05-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Then I guess I have to go back to my original question, why not? Just curious, thanks!

P.Altland
05-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Refer to Section 19.2

(b) Also excluded are arms made primarily as sporting arms, or made and issued primarily for the purpose of sharpshooting and which are characterized by target sights, sporting stock configurations, and calibers other than those suited for general military use.

Obi2winky
05-03-2018, 05:38 PM
oh wow, basically a rule to specifically outlaw rifles like Whitworths. Ok, thanks!

John Holland
05-03-2018, 06:30 PM
"...basically a rule to specifically outlaw rifles like Whitworths." Not exactly, you have to consider all the other arms included in that particular rule. Arms such as the half-stock target rifles used by the 66th Illinois, aka the "Western Sharp Shooters", and the Andrews Sharp Shooters from Mass. who used civilian target rifles of all types up to and including the big scoped slug guns. Also included in this rule are the "Country Rifles", aka Kentucky Rifles, such as the 1,500 of them altered at the Holly Springs Armory in Miss. As you see, there is more to it than just "Whitworths".

Obi2winky
05-03-2018, 06:53 PM
I feel like target rifles are basically “like Whitworths” as in Purposely designed rifles and usually smaller caliber than standard military caliber of the day. Anywho, never knew Kentucky styles were used! Learned me something new. Did they converted those to percussion?

Also regarding "sighting holes" in section 19.9, are those basically aperture sights like the M1?

Btw, my apologies if this not the right area to discuss N-SSA rules.

Lou Lou Lou
05-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Obi
were you at Hopkinton last weekend?

Obi2winky
05-03-2018, 09:37 PM
Obi
were you at Hopkinton last weekend?

Yup, You’re the first guy I looked for! I hung out with 4th Virginia the rest of the day after you left. The team skirmish definitely made me want to give it a try :D

John Holland
05-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Well, you sure met a great bunch of people! I hope you will seriously consider joining up, it could be the most fun you've had in a long time.

Lou Lou Lou
05-04-2018, 08:39 AM
We had 12 visitors including Obi and half shot the musket. Ended u as an extra and had to keep running down to the other end of the line. the 4th are outstanding folks
Hope to see you again

Obi2winky
05-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Well, you sure met a great bunch of people! I hope you will seriously consider joining up, it could be the most fun you've had in a long time.

I’ve started looking for my first muzzle loader :)

Obi2winky
05-05-2018, 01:17 PM
We had 12 visitors including Obi and half shot the musket. Ended u as an extra and had to keep running down to the other end of the line. the 4th are outstanding folks
Hope to see you again

Hope to see you again also!

Lou Lou Lou
05-05-2018, 01:36 PM
If you need any help/advice please feel free to contact me

Obi2winky
05-05-2018, 01:37 PM
If you need any help/advice please feel free to contact me

Will do sir

ewmail15
05-21-2018, 02:14 AM
William (or Bill), I picked up a beautiful (in my eyes) and original 1863 Merrill 2nd model,with missing parts type 3 rear sight (has lug only) and the brass band. History is that the owner was given the carbine 10 years ago by his then mother-in-law but went thru a divorce. He never touched it but was told all was original.

Long time ago the plunger must have rusted in the breech and the owner had pulled hard on the lever, damaging/bending badly it in two places. Surface rust from poor storage was bad, so he must have tanked the parts and cleaned the stock. Some on civilwartalk.com stated the stock was not original, or at least the (US) with circle around it just above the saddle bar wasn't original. I tried removing the buttplate screws to check both the plate and the stock. Screws on the buttplate would not budge, so with drilling little holes in the heads plus extractor bits I removed them. Screw threads had rust built up on the threads, so I am confident that stock is original. Inside of the buttplate not touching the wood has a bronze/copper look.

I have never seen a reproduction Merrill, and there are so few reproduction parts available. I did see an obvious reproduced plunger piece connected to an otherwise original worn Merrill carbine (plus no copper on plunger end). Could you post pics of your reproduced carbine and long rifles? I'd like as well to see the inletted area for the lockplate to compare to my stock. Would you have any original (or repro) rear sight or brass band (w/o the casting extra material). I do need a replacement front sight, maybe. Could have been that the owner long ago didn't like the height of the sight so he filed it down to a nub and gave it a pointed tip. Would you have an extra front sight piece? How to heat up the sight and remove ti has stumped me so far.

I've also asked but received no responses on question of part assembly numbers. Lockplate related parts have 3 over 43, whereas the barrel, receiver, lever, plungerand buttplate have 8 over 43. What do these numbers mean? My trigger plate and guard have 8 over 43 but no other Merrill I've seen sold on liveauctioneers has these markings.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks, Eric in WI.

ewmail15
05-30-2018, 12:47 PM
If anyone has his contact info, please share.

FYI I saw an old Merrill thread and had Nick Brevoort as a parts guy. Excitement turned south when on a call last night he said he was a Ballard parts guy. Good lead for a future project.