PDA

View Full Version : Coffee grinder Sharps

bobanderson
04-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Has anyone ever made a reproduction of this firearm? I saw one on the boob tube a few years ago that was declared a repro but never heard anything more about it.

How about being able to purchase the parts and adapt my Garrett? Or are there drawings that could be used to duplicate the external parts?

Not looking to do anything nefarious, just think it would be another cool gun to bring to the line. Never know when you would want a cup of coffee, or make some corn bread.

RaiderANV
04-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Neat to say the least.....

https://vimeo.com/225146307

John Holland
04-11-2018, 12:11 PM
To the best of my knowledge there are no commercially available Coffee Grinder Sharps parts available. Also, in my experience every one made after the Civil War was done so to defraud.

Bob, there are reproduction Coffee Mill Grinder parts around, such as the new decorative household Coffee Mills on the market, which could probably be used to fabricate a Coffee Mill Sharps Carbine. You're a clever guy, so I'll bet you could add one to a reproduction Sharps Carbine. Here's a deal for you, you do it and I'll bet the SAC will issue you an individual approval card for it!

Hal
04-11-2018, 12:38 PM
There's what is supposed to be a real one at Chickamauga. I have no idea how many were made and whether it is what it says it is, but there's one there.

27massvol
04-11-2018, 03:17 PM
I saw one at the Buffalo Bill Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, WY about 5 years ago....very cool.:D

Eggman
04-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Neat to say the least.....

https://vimeo.com/225146307

The 2018 Gold Star for best post goes to you Pat!

bobanderson
04-12-2018, 04:35 AM
Here's a deal for you, you do it and I'll bet the SAC will issue you an individual approval card for it!

I think I'll take up this gauntlet, John. I'm flying in the dark here. Are there ANY pictures, drawings, etc. that I could use to reproduce this? I'm especially interested in seeing both sides of the stock to see if the originals started out with a patchbox.

bobanderson
04-12-2018, 05:00 AM
I think I'll take up this gauntlet, John. I'm flying in the dark here. Are there ANY pictures, drawings, etc. that I could use to reproduce this? I'm especially interested in seeing both sides of the stock to see if the originals started out with a patchbox.

OK, I found some good pictures on the National Park Service website. It's an 1859 stock.

PS - My Garrett is a New Model 1863. Anybody got an 1859 stock they want to part with?

Eggman
04-12-2018, 11:01 AM
OK, I found some good pictures on the National Park Service website. It's an 1859 stock.

PS - My Garrett is a New Model 1863. Anybody got an 1859 stock they want to part with?
I think you're approaching this wrong Bob. Think in terms of making 10. Start with whole units (new). A bunch of us will be lining up.
(I still hate Sharps --- but I LOVE coffee)

Ron The Old Reb
04-12-2018, 11:11 AM
'Are there ANY pictures, drawings, etc. that I could use to reproduce this?

​Ask Rick Harrison on Pawn Stars he knows ever thing about every thing. If he doesn't Chumlee will.

Ron The Old Reb
04-13-2018, 07:21 AM
[QUOTE=Ron The Old Reb;69232]'Are there ANY pictures, drawings, etc. that I could use to reproduce this?

​Ask Rick Harrison on Pawn Stars he knows ever thing about every thing. If you don't believe me just ask him. If he doesn't Cory or Chumlee will.

ikesdad
04-13-2018, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=Ron The Old Reb;69232]'Are there ANY pictures, drawings, etc. that I could use to reproduce this?

​Ask Rick Harrison on Pawn Stars he knows ever thing about every thing. If you don't believe me just ask him. If he doesn't Cory or Chumlee will.

Don't forget "The Beard of Knowledge".

Southron Sr.
04-17-2018, 09:45 PM
If there is a Coffee Mill Sharps in the NPS collection at Chickamauga, you can make an appointment with the curator to see the Sharps privately at the park. Just call Chickamauga to set up the appointment.

Also, check the patent office records to see if either Christian Sharps or Col. King patented the idea. Then there should be a drawing of the parts in the mill.

gmkmd
04-18-2018, 10:36 AM
At the last gun show I almost bought a Cosmopolitan carbine with a Cuisinart built into the stock, but Tim said it wasn't original. Apparently julienne french fries weren't invented until the Franco-Prussian War. But I did buy a Gallagher carbine with a Foley food mill attached to the saddle-bar.

Ron The Old Reb
04-18-2018, 08:51 PM
At the last gun show I almost bought a Cosmopolitan carbine with a Cuisinart built into the stock, but Tim said it wasn't original. Apparently julienne french fries weren't invented until the Franco-Prussian War. But I did buy a Gallagher carbine with a Foley food mill attached to the saddle-bar.

​OMG! Cabin fever this year is worst then we thought.

John Holland
04-18-2018, 10:09 PM
I think the advanced Cabin Fever is because most of the Cabins are still covered with snow!

satwel
04-19-2018, 04:45 PM
The Springfield armory NPS site also has a coffee grinder sharps on display. They say the original intent was more to grind grains and corn than coffee.

bobanderson
04-20-2018, 05:18 AM
I've been in email contact with the curators of Springfield Armory and also the Cody Museum of the West. Both gentlemen were very helpful and offered to allow me a research appointment to examine their displays. That may still happen in the future, but in the meantime, a friend gave me a book titled "Breech-Loading Carbines of the United States Civil War Period" by Brigadier General John Pitman. It has line drawings of the right plate along with a scale, plus full size drawings of the left side and the internal parts of the grinder mechanism.
I've also ordered an 1859 stock blank to modify. I've got some ideas to replicate a grinder mechanism from modern parts. Next step is to decide how to cut out the plates and the handle. I could do it by hand, but if I wanted to make more than one, a cnc mill would be the way to go. The only person I know that has one is way too busy to work on this for me.

gmkmd
04-20-2018, 08:41 AM
I was joshing before, but seriously this sounds like a really cool project. If you're planning on making one, it would probably be a good idea to plan on making several, because I'd bet you'll have more than a few guys looking to buy one from you.

John Holland
04-20-2018, 09:09 AM
To continue on the serious side of Glenn's post for a moment, if Bob is successful in setting up a repetitive production process I will bet "Dollars to Donuts" that there will be a market in the re-enacting community!

Ron The Old Reb
04-20-2018, 09:15 AM
A nother place you might want to check with is the J.M. Davis Arms Museum in Clearemore Oklahoma. It has more then 20,000 firearms on display. I have been there two times and spent most of the day both times and did not see everything on display. I understand that they also have a large library open to the public on firearms for research. One of the things that I liked was the Cap Pistol display I think they have every cap pistol ever made. Brought back a lot of memory's.

330 N J W Dais Blvd.
Clearemore Olahoma 74017

(918) 341-5707

Southron Sr.
05-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Here is the link to the Springfield Armory Museum page on the Coffee Grinder Sharps:

http://ww3.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCGI.exe?IDCFile=/spring/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=9886,DATABASE=57613798

bobanderson
05-05-2018, 08:34 AM
We are making progress, slowly. I'll be accumulating materials at the Forth next week. I now have scale drawings and a plan to reproduce the plates and crank. I need to find a suitable set of internals, but I have a plan that would allow me to do it with modern, easily purchased parts. The original coffee grinder had a rap that it wasn't very good at what it did. Would the SAC care if it was different inside as long as it looked authentic on the outside?

With any luck, I might have something by the Fall Nationals.

I'm only posting this to keep me on focus. Don't really know if anyone else is interested, but as previously mentioned, the board doesn't have a "like" button.