PDA

View Full Version : front sight ?

OLD CHIEF
07-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Shot my new 54 cal. Euroarms Mississippi at 100 yards for the first time and it groups ok but it shoots around 8 inches low. It came with a tall front sight and a rear tombstone type sight.
About how much will I need to file off the front sight, to bring it up 8 in :? .

Bill Hicks
Dahlonega Ga.

Tom Magno, 9269V
07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Measure the distance between the rear sight and the front sight to get the sight radius (inches). Divide this number by 3600 (100 yards is 3600 inches). The result will give you how much you need to file down your front sight to raise the impact point of your group 1 inch. For example, if your sight radius is 22 inches, 22/3600=.006; you would remove .006 inches (roughly half the width of a business card to give you perspective of what this number means) for 1 inch of group/impact movement. If you multpiply that x 8 = .048, this is the amount you would need to remove from the top of the front sight to raise your group 8 inches at 100 yards in my example.
So, for your Mississippi, measure your sight radius, divide by 3600, then multiply by 8. But, don't take it all off at your workbench. Take off half, then go to the range with a file and 50 rounds. Shoot 3, assess the impact, file a few thousandths, shoot 3 more,assess impact point again, continue this process slowly to refine and finesse your group up to where you want it. You an always file off more metal, but you cannot put it back on.... Good luck!

Tom

WV SCROUNGER
07-23-2008, 01:01 PM
your powdercharge and projectile combination has alot to do with it also..you could raise your charge up some...
I would fiddle around with charge strenght befoe I file any off the front sight.

Tom Magno, 9269V
07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
your powdercharge and projectile combination has alot to do with it also..you could raise your charge up some...
I would fiddle around with charge strenght befoe I file any off the front sight.

In order to raise the impact point that much, the charge would need to be quite stout - more than overkill, and might blow the skirt ruining any accuracy. As long as charge is in the 40-60 grain range (3F), that is more than adequate for targets and most game. 100 grains and up would have a negative effect on accuracy and (ouch) the shoulder, and might not raise the impact point that much either.
My 2 cents.

pastore
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
You should use your powder charge to get your best GROUP. You use sight adjustment to move point of impact. That is of course if :roll: you are interested in accuracy.

OLD CHIEF
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
would like to thank you for the help.
the group is ok with 40 grains of 3f but will work on finding the best group before i file off part of sight.

Bill

snapcap14
07-23-2008, 07:25 PM
one reminder if you mess w/ the front for 100yrd it will effect your 50yrd
hows your 50yrd sight. you may need to play w/ both front and rear sights. :roll:

OLD CHIEF
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Snapcap

I now shoot a two band euroarms cook & brothers, which for me is on at 50 yards. But I have been unable to adjust it for 100 yards without screwing up the 50 yard range :oops: . The only thing that works for a while is shimming up the rear sight when shooting at 100 yards, but sometimes the shim will move or fall out when reloading and shooting. So I have decided to go for a gun just for the 100 yard events and think the 54 cal Mississippi with its heavy barrel will work for me.

Bill Hicks

Greg Ogdan, 11444
07-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Chief,
You can use plastic electrical tape around the sight and stock to keep the shim in place.
Be careful using the Mississippi fot the long range event, you might get hooked. I did!