PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Garrett Sharps

Yakiman
03-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Was Garrett Arms the only company that had the 1863 carbine produced with the Lawrence Pellet Primer system? The one I have is not marked "Garrett Arms" anywhere. Italian proof marks, a serial number on the bbl and tang, and faint Made in Italy, black powder only, cal .54 are all that's on it. The pictures I see on the internet have Garrett on the lock plate. Could this have been made by anyone else?

Does anyone know where I could get a pellet feeder bar? Granted, the system is obsolete but that's the only piece missing and I'd like to have it "complete" if possible.

John Holland
03-15-2018, 08:24 PM
The Garrett Sharps is the only reproduction with a functioning Lawrence pellet primer.

Ron The Old Reb
03-16-2018, 09:57 AM
A few years after Mr. Garret stopped production of his Sharps I asked him if he still had any parts left. He told me that he had sold all of his parts to some company but I can not remember the name of the company that bought them. I think the company was located some were in Pennsylvania. Maybe some one on the BB knows. Try a Google searcher you might get lucky.

Dan Mastin
03-16-2018, 10:21 AM
A couple of years ago I rehabbed a sadly neglected 1863 Garrett carbine. Among it's many problems were missing parts for the primer feeder. It took a while but I found almost everything I needed at S&S and another sutler who sets up next to Rapine's old stall. This guy has ton of original parts. As I recall his prices were pretty good. Sorry I don't have his contact information, good luck with your search

Dan Mastin
11th Indiana

Yakiman
03-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Found one at S&S, might fit and they said I could return it - just don't take a file to it. This carbine is pretty nice, could almost pass for unfired but I was surprised at how short the chamber is. Were they all like that? Will have to get chamber work if I decide to shoot it.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
03-16-2018, 02:51 PM
The sutler next to Rapine's old booth (now occupied by Moose Moulds) is Ed Nicely. He is either from Maryland or Pennsylvania, is a great guy to deal with and he may have tables at the Baltimore Gun Show (Timonium, MD) this weekend.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI