PDA

View Full Version : New moulds that cast replica Civil War .36 and and .44 Caliber revolver bullets

Southron Sr.
02-27-2018, 03:05 PM
For you revolver shooters, check this website out:

erasgonebullets.webstarts.com

Southron Sr.
02-27-2018, 04:35 PM
www.erasgonebullets.webstarts.com

Curt
02-27-2018, 08:40 PM
Hallo!

I have them, and like them.

Basically, "Lee" molds casting CW config. conical bullets.

Curt

Eggman
02-28-2018, 10:06 AM
I've had them. I hate them. Here's why. The big challenge in shooting a revolver is controlling the violence. Basically you've got a small explosion contained in a relatively small conglomeration of metal parts perched in your hand. You want the charges to be consistent, yes, but you also don't want the gun jumping up in the air like a JACKRABBIT (we So. Dak. State alum always put JACKRABBIT in caps). Thus you'll see a general tendency to use light powder charges. Now the military style bullet is significantly heavier than a round ball, will create much more pressure, and again cause the gun to jump like a JACKRABBIT (can't say that word enough). I tried them during the Carter administration and the shots went all over the place. So anyone who uses them is not in his or her right mind.
NOTE: the greatest BP pistol shooter I've ever known is Virgil Kruse of Milan, Minnesota. He competed using a .45 Kentucky pistol with round ball and as I recall 12 grains of powder. The only visible recoil was a slight twitching at the ends of his handle bar mustache when the gun went off.

Eggman
02-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Virgil at Fort Ridgely, Minnesota (big fight there with Sioux in '62.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
02-28-2018, 11:00 AM
These do shoot well. From a shooters perspective though you have to remove the cylinder to load them. Yes they are copies of originals. The problem is the loading cuts in the repro revolvers are short and not to the original dimensions. See more on the reviews on You tube. Check it out.