PDA

View Full Version : 69 cal fremont

kowdok
03-11-2010, 10:48 AM
I have a teammate who has purchased this gun to skirmish with. I can't get it to hit anything with the bullet she's molding. It an original style appearing minnie and the mold is labeled .685. She was sizing it so I tried it without sizing and still no luck. If anyone out there shoots this gun, I need advice. I've had recommended to me a .690 Rapine semiwadcutter mold. What do ya'll think? Where can this mold be acquired if it's the one of choice? Thanks for any advice.
kowdok

hwaugh
03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
The Rapine .69 wad cutter is a great bullet for Plymouths,42 rifled musket and a Fremont. I shot a plymouth for a few years and found this bullet to group very well. I found that your lube needs to be applied to the outside of the base not on the inside. Can't remember what I sized the bullet to back then, but I seem to recall Bobby Hoyt cut these barrels to fit Ray's mould very well. If you are shooting a Hoyt barrel a Rapine bullet will be very close. As far as getting a Rapine mould just post a "wanted-to-buy" on the board. Hopes this helps.

Harry Waugh -3731 Terry's Texas Rangers

kowdok
03-11-2010, 12:29 PM
This gun is an Armisport with all Armisport parts including the barrel. Thanks for the input. Anymore thoughts?

kowdok

03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Did you measure your bore diameter? My buddy and I bought a couple of the Armisport Fremonts a couple of years ago. Very nicely made, but the bore is rather big. Mine measured 0.694 bore diameter, so you need an oversized bullet. Pat Kaboskey had an oversized Rapine .69 cal wadcutter mold that drops them at 0.695, and I size them down to 0.692. The 0.685 is much too small, though it might work better with a heftier charge.

Jim Brake 3587
03-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Jim, You can buy some bullets from Paul Weber and try them. I think he makes a .69 cal. semi-wadcutter. If you'd like me to check it out I will...Jim

03-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Yes, Paul Weber makes excellent .69 caliber Minie's from the Rapine mold. But his are the more standard 0.685. I use his bullets to shoot in my Plymouth's, but they are not big enough for the Fremont.

stretchman25
03-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I have an Armi Sport rifled 42, all of the Armi Sport muskets I have owned all had oversized bores. In order to get mine to shoot well with the Lyman mold I had to obturate the base of the bullet. A friend made a die that the bullet fits into, the i.d. on the die is right at .695. The bullet is placed in the die and then a steel plug that fits into the base of the minie ball is tapped several times with a hammer. This will obturate or expand the base of the minnie to the i.d. of the die. A small hole drilled in the top of the die allows the minnie ball to be knocked out of the expander die with the use of a wooden dowel. Accuracy is greatly improved with this process. Another option would be to contact Erik at http://www.hollowpointmold.com. He can recut the driving bands on the mold making it cast to a larger diameter.

03-16-2010, 02:36 PM
I sure would like to get myself a die to expand those bullets like you've described. Is your friend interested in making another one?

Southron Sr.
04-17-2010, 09:42 PM
What I would recommend is that you "Lap" your mould out to increase the diameter of bullets it throws. Here is the technique:

1. Heat your mould up to casting temperature.
2. Without closing the sprue plate, cast a bullet while an old screwdrver's tip is inside of the mould cavity. It is best if the screwdriver blade is pre-heated by holding it for a few seconds in the molten lead in your pot.
3. Set your mould with the "bullet with a handle connected to it" aside until the mould cools.
4. After the mould has cooled, then take the "bullet" out of the mould and coat it with VALVE GRINDING COMPOUND. (Available at any Auto Parts Store)5. Put the bullet back inside the mould and start rotating it using the screwdriver handle.

The Valve Grinding Compound is an ABRASIVE and consequently enlarge the mould a little at a time.

"Lapping out a Mould" is a well known technique for modifying a mould so it casts larger bullets.

Hint: If you have to increase the diameter of your mould only a little-then use the "Fine" Valve Grinding Compound on your lap-it will literally "polish" the cavity in your mould. Bullets will release easier from the mould AND exhibit a smoother surface.

GOOD LUCK1

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
04-18-2010, 12:28 AM
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

Check this guy's web site. He can open up the driving band grooves in your mold to what you need. I had him do some work on a 515139 Lyman and it turned out great. Only took about a week from the day i shipped it too. May solve a multitude of mold, bore size problems.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery