PDA

View Full Version : is it approved ?

Rob West
03-11-2010, 07:39 AM
I have an 1841 Mississippi Rifle reproduction that is marked “Replica Arms, RidgeField N.J.” on the Barrel. The lockplate just has an Eagle stamped in front of the hammer. The Rifle is made in Italy by V. Bernardelli.
My question is this rifle approved for N-SSA use?
Rob West
1st Va Vols 001-TW

mwmoore10261
03-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Replica Arms changed it's name to Navy Arms and Zoli made Mississippis are an accepted firearm. What marks are on barrel? I suspect this is a 1960's or 1970's replica and although made in numbers to not be thought of as a custom, you still might need a SAC card as it isn't listed under accepted manufacturers. John Holland could tell you if it needs a SAC card or not.
Michael Moore, 10261

John Holland
03-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Hello Rob,

It sounds as if you have a Mississippi that has been assembled from an assortment of parts. I say this because Replica Arms has no Production Approval for a Mississippi, but Navy Arms does. Navy Arms bought Replica Arms and used the name for some time after the merger. Bernardelli was never associated with either company. Bernardelli Mississippi rifles are marked "Gold Rush/Afton Va./Date" on the lock. There is more, but I've probably confused you enough as it is.

Without actually seeing the arm, I would hesitate to speculate if the assemblage is acceptable. If you could bring it to the SAC office during our working hours of 9AM - 11AM, May 19 - 21, I will be glad to give it my personal attention.

Sincerely,
John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Frog
03-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I see "Musket Rob" has struck again!!! Green

RaiderANV
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I've run across half a dozen Bernardelli Mississippi's over the years and found one that had a brazed breech section.

The others were some of the best made guns there are and shot better then you could hold them. Very accurate guns!