PDA

View Full Version : How to lighten a revolver trigger?

Maillemaker
01-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Santa brought me a Pietta Spiller and Burr.

Unfortunately, the trigger is very heavy and very long.

To shorten up the pull, my understanding is you need to build up the hammer under the sear, not remove material from the hammer full cock notch.

Is this correct? I intend to drill a small pocket into the hammer in front of the full cock notch, and then lay in a bead of solder in the pocket, which can then be filed down until there is sufficient pull length.

Steve

P.Altland
01-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Santa brought me a Pietta Spiller and Burr.

Unfortunately, the trigger is very heavy and very long.

To shorten up the pull, my understanding is you need to build up the hammer under the sear, not remove material from the hammer full cock notch.

Is this correct? I intend to drill a small pocket into the hammer in front of the full cock notch, and then lay in a bead of solder in the pocket, which can then be filed down until there is sufficient pull length.

SteveI solder a piece of brass from and old spent Henry round to the hammer. Never had much luck with solder. It's soft and the sear will beat it flat over time causing creep to come back. My $.02

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

John Holland
01-02-2018, 05:16 PM
To expand a bit on what Paul said about using brass shim stock, I have found .30-06 cases to be quite useful. I cut the head off, split the case down the length with a hacksaw, and then anneal the case, and after it is soft I flatten it out. You will find a wide range of thicknesses to work with from the neck down to the base.

Maillemaker
01-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Thanks all, I will solder in a brass shim. Thanks for the great ideas!

Steve

Eggman
01-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Remember the minimum trigger pull for revolvers is 23 pounds Steve.

Maillemaker
01-02-2018, 07:25 PM
At that weight I can just throw the revolver! :)

Steve

jonk
01-23-2018, 01:33 AM
My revolver is a tad heavy for my taste at about 8 pounds, but is extremely crisp and predictable. As I only shoot revolver at nationals, I chose to leave well enough alone. BUT, yes, the procedure to lighten trigger pull is essentially the same as a musket; solder a shim on to the relevant point and shape as needed.

You might want to use a stone or fine file to sharpen some of the edges of the existing mechanism too to make it a little crisper, but be very careful on that. You can always take off a shim and start over, but not so with the metal of the gun itself.