PDA

View Full Version : Lorenz nipple removal help needed.

Steve Weems
12-27-2017, 10:54 PM
Having difficult time removing the nipple from my Muster 1854 Lorenz which had been severely battered by dry firing and who knows when it was last removed. I am letting it soak in Kroil for the next week. When I get back to it I was thinking of adding heat to the bolster area. I was wondering how much heat would be safe to add?

Ron The Old Reb
12-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Also take and run a little Kroil oil also down the barrel and tilt it so the oil runs in the bolster and let it soak for a few days. If you have to apply heat use a propane torch with a very small flame and just heat the bolster. You don't have to get it very hot. If it still will not come out try using a broken bolt remover.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
12-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Just a safety note. Check with the ramrod to make sure there's no round in there before applying any heat. I'm not paranoid, but I did find one loaded once, so now I'm a little more mindful about checking. Good luck.

0556V
12-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Having difficult time removing the nipple from my Muster 1854 Lorenz which had been severely battered by dry firing and who knows when it was last removed. I am letting it soak in Kroil for the next week. When I get back to it I was thinking of adding heat to the bolster area. I was wondering how much heat would be safe to add?
I have had really good luck with PB Blaster penetrating oil, it does penetrate better than most of the others. Give it about 12hours. I would try that before using heat. Also if you have 4 flats on the nipple and can find a small socket that fits good, you might want to try a 1/4 inch impact tool. I love mine.

Steve Weems
12-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. After soaking in Kroil for a day I was able to remove the breech plug which was in good condition but the bore is toast from a shooters perpective. No loads which I also came across once! I am now soaking in Kroil for the next week and using the tilt method to get it into the bolster area— may try some PB blaster also as I am hoping not to heat it.

Chris Sweeney
12-29-2017, 11:40 AM
If the bore is really toast then either it will need a reline or it becomes a wall hanger; either way a little heat won't be a problem. I've used those little butane pocket torches successfully for such-like problems.

Merrill
01-02-2018, 01:37 PM
I have had really good luck with PB Blaster penetrating oil, it does penetrate better than most of the others. Give it about 12hours. I would try that before using heat. Also if you have 4 flats on the nipple and can find a small socket that fits good, you might want to try a 1/4 inch impact tool. I love mine.

I second the impact tool. A real life saver