PDA

View Full Version : Misfiring Zouave

Yud
12-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Hi so I have a problem, I shoot a 1974 Ranson Zouave, overall great gun and I love to shoot it.

But, a few weeks ago I was at a shoot and after about 20 rounds it misfired though 3 cci musket caps, then put some powder behind the nipple, to clear the gun, then next round misfire again same procedure. After some cleaning, I capped off twice, shot a blank (I wanted to be sure it would fire before putting another ball in), then shot 3 rounds and same problem. At which point I decided I was done.

Then today first time getting out to shoot again and it happened after 18 rounds. This time I used a CVA pipe cleaner to clean out the flash hole, and it fired twice before I called it a day.

It should be noted that I had been shooting 60gr FFFg and switched to 30 right before this happened, and I shoot .570 round balls.

So, any thoughts on what is happening?

As an aside I work at Fort Delaware State Park so hi to those of you I may have met this summer.

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
12-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Yud Sorry to hear about your concern. The Ransom barrels were known for this. Due to the breech set up. The breech is a cap not a plug! The 3 I have are all the same. There is a space at the breech from the end of the barrel to the breech cap. this creates an are that will lots of powder and fouling. Just try upping your load a little first. Since you had no noted concerns with 60 gr but do now at 30. There are other ways to correct this but can involve a machine shop and a good gun smith! Good luck on this.;)

MR. GADGET
12-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Seen this on several.
All were do to light powder charges.
With lighter charges the ball or bullet will seat too far back blocking the channel getting good spark to burn the powder.
Most I see with this problem were sub 40 grn charges. I bet if you bump to 40 or 50 you will be fine.

Yud
12-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Thank you all, I knew this was the right place to get information. I will certainly try upping the charge.

John Holland
12-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Good advice from both Wayne Shaw and Mr. Gadget!

19Wyoming
12-24-2017, 02:51 PM
I just bought a Ranson Zouave. It will be delivered next week. Great Info to know guy's!