PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 1869 Sharps carbine parts

ewmail15
11-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Hi. I picked up an old, old rifle at a garage sale a few months ago. Didn't know what it was until I joined civilwartalk.com and received help there. I'm restoring a damaged, scavenged 1859 Sharps carbine (matching 66934), and have had no luck finding the rear sight, stock, forend and related parts. eBay did have one forend, but didn't pull the trigger, as I saw it just before the auction ended.

I've contacted Lodgewood, S&S, DGW, plus Erickson, Brooks, Knisely and many other CW arms website owners. Nobody has other than repro parts. Lodgewood had repro pellet feeder parts, the main spring, trigger plate, and went with S&S for the clean-out screw and front trigger plate screw.

Everything is working as it should now, and just needs some kind soul to help me complete this project. Well worn is the preferred "original" parts condition.

I picked up a Lawrence primer pellets tube from Ian Workman at American Civil War Relics - just needs the dowel. I also lucked out last week and ordered on eBay the 1841/42 Springfield rifle tool with the closed socket end for $20. If I had the money and no other parts priorities, I'd have picked up the brass bore cleaner with leather strings at each end for $120.

I'm also going to fabricate a piston for the lock plate pellets (have the spring already), by finding a small bolt and grinding down to size/shape. If that doesn't work, I'll try shaping the piece from lead. Would someone instead have one in your parts bins?

Thanks, Eric in WI.