PDA

View Full Version : Breech plug wrench

CAGerringer
10-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know who carries a breech plug wrench that will fit a Zouave?
Thanks,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Bob Lintner
10-28-2017, 09:00 PM
I broke every wrench I could find at the Winchester Nationals so I tracked down the Snap On tool salesman (in the step van truck) and my head mechanic and I bought a 1/4 inch drive socket that fit the nipple. We had to drill it out a little deeper so the nipple would slide in all the way and it worked like a charm! I also bought a 1/4 inch drive swivel socket with a square head that also had to be drilled deeper and that also worked, but I think it is now discontinued. Anyway, talk to the Snap On salesman as they have a lot of real neat/quality stuff. I'm now retired so I don't have the contact anymore. Also use Nev'r Seize on the threads and clean the gun after every time you shoot it ( silver stuff in a plastic bottle-I think Permatex makes it). Good shooting!
Bob

PS My gun was a Euroarms. When re-installing the nipple just snug it a little. Don't crank it in real tight or you'll be sorry! Stock nipple that came with the gun works just fine.

John Holland
10-28-2017, 11:37 PM
Respectfully, Charlie is asking about a breech plug wrench, not a nipple wrench!

CAGerringer
10-29-2017, 08:34 AM
Respectfully, Charlie is asking about a breech plug wrench, not a nipple wrench!

Thanks, John. Sid Patrick showed me where S&S are offering a 1863/4 Springfield breech plug wrench for $45. He's used it on his Zouaves, and says it works well. Looks pretty heavy duty, but I'll let you know how it holds up.
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

RaiderANV
10-29-2017, 10:15 AM
kinda hard to beat a large pipe wrench with leather in it's jaws.

sherm burres
10-29-2017, 02:33 PM
1/4 to 3/8 by 2" flat stock approx 12" inches long. Cut slot in the end that conforms yo the taper of the breach plug and 2 pieces of aluminum.place Barrel in vice held by the aluminum and you can hit the end of the wrench you made with a hammer.this has worked for me forever.

Eggman
10-29-2017, 02:36 PM
kinda hard to beat a large pipe wrench with leather in it's jaws.
Come on Pat! Way too easy!!!!

RaiderANV
10-29-2017, 05:11 PM
I KNOW......RIGHT!!!!! :cool:

Bruce Cobb 1723V
10-30-2017, 07:43 AM
S & S still sells the 40 year old Yeck wrench design Never heard of any breaking either. A big ol 3 foot long pipe is a big help.

Bob Lintner
11-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Thanks John, I misread the post. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Bob