PDA

View Full Version : Powder comparison

Pvt Snook
10-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Has anyone done a comparison between Schutzen and Goex powders? I was thinking of switching to Schutzen because it’s cheaper, but don’t want to mess with changing powder charges.

Thanks in advance
Tim Snook, 5619
Md Guard

Maillemaker
10-25-2017, 12:00 PM
I shoot Goex exclusively. I once bought a bunch of Shuetzen because Back Creek was out of Goex at the time.

I found it a very dirty powder. At the time I was trying to work up a load for the Moose Wilkinson bullet. This is a compression-style bullet that has very limited lube-carrying capability. With Shuetzen, I could only get off about 3 shots before the barrel started getting crunchy. I was just about to write off using the Wilkinson when I tried it again with Goex powder. Now I can shoot it indefinitely.

Personally, I won't every buy Shuetzen powder again.

Steve

Carolina Reb
10-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Schutzen has worked well in my carbines. Both the Merrill and Smith seem to prefer it. At the fall national I went over 50% hits, and that Smith has a truly awful bore. Beeswax-olive oil works well for lube, and fouling isn't bad. Schutzen is slow, about like the old Curtis & Harvey Meteor (if anyone remembers that). Here are some numbers.

Smith: Cut down 50-70 bullet, 375 gr., 25 gr. FFF, 1cc filler: Goex - 880 fps, 12 sd / Sch - 775 fps, 5 sd
Merrill: 470 gr. original style bullet, 29 gr. Swiss FFF - 691 fps, 18 sd / 38 gr, Sch FFF - 759 fps, 3.3 sd

LeoSkully
12-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Personally, I won't every buy Shuetzen powder again.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be keeping this in mind.