PDA

View Full Version : Best anti-seize nipple grease?

Mike McDaniel
10-21-2017, 05:43 PM
After the last few shoots, I've had a major issue pulling the nipple out of my musket. P-H Enfield, if it makes a difference. I've shot it since 1976, only had this problem this year....the nipple wrench won't budge a nipple that was finger-tight when I started. I normally spray the nipple with Ballistol before installing it.

Any recommendations for a better nipple grease?

marv762
10-21-2017, 07:44 PM
i carry a small tube of anti-seize lube. its made by permatex. works good

newrib
10-22-2017, 11:06 AM
I also shoot Parker Hale repro rifles and carbines,and I guess the method I use would work on any percussion type gun. I use 2 wraps of 1/4 inch wide Teflon pipe tape on my musket nipples. I do not skirmish yet, however its not uncommon for me to shoot 40 or 50 rounds on a good day and the nipples unscrew with no problem at the end of the day. Best of Luck to You !

Kevin Tinny
10-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Hi, Mike:

I found different types of "Neversieze". I now use the marine (saltwater), high temp version. Never had a clean set of threads bind in 40 years.

If using TEFLON, the techies have told me it is ONLY a water/air sealant, not an anti-sieze product.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny

Muley Gil
10-22-2017, 09:57 PM
After I clean my BP guns, I lube the barrel with Bore Butter and then take that patch and put some Bore Butter on the nipple threads. I also shoot a P-H naval rifle and carbine.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
10-23-2017, 12:20 PM
I use Birchwood-Casey Choke Tube Lube (designed for removable shotgun chokes) on my musket nipples and Sharps clean-out screw. Comes in a small tube that easily fits with all your cleaning gear. Works great and available at most gun stores. I get mine at Cabela's.

Jim Burgess
15th CVI

jonk
11-01-2017, 01:04 AM
I never really found the need for it. I have 3 rifled muskets, 3 smoothbores, and 2 carbines, and a drop of oil on the threads has always done well for me. But,

I have, however, found the need for it on choke tubes on shotguns from time to time. If you are having issues I see no reason why what I use there wouldn't work well for you; which is to say a small dab of snythetic brake grease from the auto parts store. you can get a packet of it for under a buck, takes up no room, is made for high temp/pressure situations.

Rob FreemanWBR
11-01-2017, 06:12 AM
I pull the nipple (cone) every time for cleaning (rifle, smoothie & carbine) in hot soapy water.

After cleaning and oiling, a one inch piece of Teflon tape is wrapped around the cone's threads (NOT COVERING THE TOUCH HOLE).

As such I've NEVER had any issues in removing a cone, either on the line or at home for cleaning.

TEFLON TAPE - cheap, clean, easy, and proven.

My two cents!

gjwarren
11-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Yup, Teflon tape.used it in all nipples & screws & breech plugs 26 years now, no problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JW 5875V
11-07-2017, 02:27 PM
I put a dab of bullet lube on my threads at re assembly. 30 yrs no problems!!!!!!!

JW 5975V

Ron The Old Reb
11-07-2017, 03:15 PM
I have been using Permatex Anti-seize for about thirty years on both my musket and revolver nipples and have never had one seize up. I put a little on a tooth pick and spread a light coating on the threads. But beware this stuff jumps at you. As soon as you remove the lied from the bottle it jumps on your fingers then to your hand then to the barrel then to the stock and finally to the workbench. :mad:

Maillemaker
11-07-2017, 03:35 PM
I've had the best luck with teflon tape, but I find it fiddly to work with, so usually I just put some white lithium grease on the threads and call it good. Since I pull the nipple every time I fire the gun, this seems to work well enough.

Steve

hobbler
11-14-2017, 08:24 PM
Have used teflon tape sometimes and nickel never-seize sometimes.
Never-seize on revolvers for sure. Tape or never-seize on rifles and muskets.