PDA

View Full Version : Cook and Brother rifle - Pedersoli

Liberty and Secession
10-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Hello all-

I've been researching Cook and Brother for a book I am writing, and I am interested in getting a Cook and Brother reproduction rifle. How authentic is the Pedersoli rifle? Would folks recommend getting this rifle, or from somewhere else?

If the Pedersoli rifle would need some modifications to be made authentic, can I get some recommendations on who could do that work?

Thank you,

Kelly

Maillemaker
10-15-2017, 11:42 AM
I am not familiar with the Cook and Brother rifle, so I cannot comment on specific details of that particular arm.

But just about all reproductions have varying defects in terms of historical accuracy. Such as the modern barrel markings put in place by the manufacturer ("BLACK POWDER ONLY") etc.

There are a couple of people/places that specialize in "defarbing" muskets. Lodgewood Manufacturing, and Todd Watts of Blockade Runner are a couple that I know of.

Steve

R. McAuley 3014V
10-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Kelly,

One of the places you will want to visit is Alexander H. Stephens State Park at Crawfordville, GA, which was the home of the former Vice President of the Confederacy. Among the artifacts on exhibit is a ladder-back chair, a gift of the Cook Brothers, made of four shaped but un-inlet Cook & Brother rifle stocks that will give you the true feel for the stock contours seldom found except with pristine examples of the armory's production. Crawfordville is just north of I-20 between Atlanta and Augusta. It is a must see if you are interested in Cook & Brothers rifles.

http://gastateparks.org/AHStephens

Liberty and Secession
10-16-2017, 04:09 AM
That's very interesting-- Crawfordville is definitely on my list of places to visit soon. I will definitely check out the chair.

My 4g uncle reached out to Alexander Stephens in 1862 in an attempt to obtain a transfer from his artillery unit, stationed in Florida, to work at the Cook and Brother Armory in Athens, Georgia. Although Stephens said it was no problem, unfortunately the transfer never came through, and my 4g uncle disappeared in late March 1865 in North Carolina.

His nephew, Lemuel, was my 3g grandfather, who fought with Cook's Battalion at the battles of Griswoldville, Honey Hill, and Savannah when he was just 16 years old.

Kelly

threepdr
11-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Pedersoli took over Cook & Brother's manufacturing from Euroarms. Based on the photos they have provided on their website they have improved the product significantly. They have added the correct long trigger guard and most of the period markings. The stock has also been refined closer to the lines of the original. I'm sure there are things that could be done to improve it, but it is much better right out of the box than the old Euroarms version.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_391/rifles-cook-e-brother-cook-e-brother-rifle.html

Liberty and Secession
11-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately, the Cook and Brother chair at Alexander Stephens’ house was damaged several years ago and is no longer on display. The ranger told me that someone “dropped a cannonball on it.” They told me they will try to get me some info on the chair’s current whereabouts.

I obtained an original C&B musketoon built in Athens in 1864. It’s really cool! I plan on getting a reproduction Pedersoli rifle to get into shooting. Not a good idea to load up the original to go to the range I’d say!

Kelly

John Holland
11-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Congratulations on acquiring an original C&B Musketoon! Now that you have that for a comparison, when you receive your Pedersoli reproduction rifle you will quickly see that there is enough wood from the wrist back to the butt plate to reshape it to even better be more like the original using your original for the pattern. Pedersoli did not have access to an original and did their best to replicate from photographs.

Lou Lou Lou
11-16-2017, 03:33 PM
This is the place to help get the pedersoli up and shooting

Muley Gil
11-16-2017, 10:34 PM
"Not a good idea to load up the original to go to the range I’d say!"

My guess is that about 35-40% of the members of the N-SSA shoot original firearms. If your musketoon is in good shape, take it to the range!

Hal
11-17-2017, 07:26 AM
Yep, I agree. With the exception of my wife's Pedersoli Enfield, all of ours are originals. That's part of the enjoyment to me.

John Holland
11-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Personally, I wouldn't encourage anyone to "load up and shoot" an original Confederate arm with a very high dollar value, which has a barrel made from iron that most likely doesn't rate as high in quality as an original 1864 Springfield!

Liberty and Secession
11-17-2017, 11:43 AM
As a teenager I re-enacted with the 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry bases out of Stone Mountain, GA, so I am definitely familiar with the term “farby,” but thanks for looking out with the explanation.

One of our “farbiest” transgressions was when our fife and drum corps played the Death Star march from Star Wars at dress parade when our Captain appeared haha

John Holland
11-17-2017, 05:14 PM
Now, there's something I would like to have heard!

John Holland
11-20-2017, 01:33 PM
I would think so. Mostly because the liners are modern steel and the majority of the original barrels are iron.

Southron Sr.
12-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Dear Mr. Cook & Brother Researcher

My understanding is that the original partnership papers (agreement) between the Cook brothers is still on file in the Clark County Courthouse in Athens, GA

Many years ago, I saw an Xerox copy of those papers, if I recall correctly, those Xerox copies were made by Mr. Leighton Young.

You might also check with the Georgia State Archives to see if they have any documents related to the Cook & Brother Armory. I have gone through the records of the Georgia Adjutant Generals office in the archives and don't recall any mention of the Cook & Brother Armory; as their arms were supplied mostly to the Confederate Ordnance Department.

Between 1861 and 1863 Georgia supplied many of its regiments with either (1) U.S. M1816 smoothbore muskets converted to percussion, These muskets were purchased from the U.S. Ordnance Department prior to Secession. (2) Windsor Enfields purchased from a lein holder for the bankrupt Robbins & Lawrence Armory of Windsor, Vermont (3) A large number of U.S. Model 1842 smoothbore muskets along with a few Mississippi and Model 1855 Rifles that the state acquired when the U.S. Arsenal at Augusta, GA was seized in 1861. The state also sent agents to England early in the war to purchase English made Enfield Rifles.

https://www.georgiaarchives.org/research

By 1863 the Confederate Ordnance Department had taken over the responsibility of supplying Georgia regiments in Confederate service with arms.

You might also wish to consult the microfilm copies of the James Burton papers on file in the Washington Library in Macon, GA. Burton was Superintendent of Confederate Armories and spent a lot of the war stationed in Macon. Mr. Burton had dealings with the Cooks.

I can claim the credit or blame for Euroarms producing the replica Cook & Brother Carbine. This was back in 1976 when I worked for Euroarms of America. I made the suggestion at a meeting attended by Mr. Louie Amadi (the owner of both Euroarms and Euroarms America) and Mr. Grassi (who managed Armi San Paulo near Brescia, Italy.) Armi San Paulo manufactured the line of percussion Euroarms revolvers and also a replica .577 Enfield Artillery Carbine.

My suggestion was that it would be a simple matter for ASP to come out with a replica Cook & Brother Carbine changing the markings of the replica Enfield lock with Cook & Brother markings and placing a "Tombstone" rear sight on the replica Enfield barrel along with other minor alterations of the replica Enfield Carbine.

Hence, Euroarms of America came out with the FIRST production Cook & Brother replicas in 1976. As far as I know, our replica Cook & Brothers were the FIRST replica of a Confederate longarm. Unfortunately, ASP did not produce a correct copy of the original Cook & Brother stock. I am very glad that Pedersoli has now produced a replica Cook & Brother Rifle with a correct stock.

Looking forward to seeing your book.

All My Best

Southron