PDA

View Full Version : .54 Caliber Pre-Revolutionary War Flintlock for sale or trade

Jim Cunningham
10-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Sold-pending receipt of funds

Thanks,

RaiderANV
10-02-2017, 01:27 AM
Sweet rifle Jim! I found it easier to buy another gun safe each time I ran outta room then selling guns. I now have five monster safes and need to build a gun room on the house to put them in. That'll cut into the gun buying money. ={

Martin S.
10-06-2017, 06:20 PM
PM Sent for this rifle.

Ron The Old Reb
10-06-2017, 08:06 PM
"need to build a gun room on the house to put them in"

I knew a guy who did just that. He had them displayed just like in a museum, lighted glass cases built into the wall.

ec121
10-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Is the barrel signed on the top flat? Who built it?

Jim Cunningham
10-09-2017, 01:20 PM
The rifle is unsigned, and was built last year from an Isaac Haines kit I purchased at the Gunmaker's Fair from Jim Chambers. Jim told me he uses the same styled rifle himself, and strongly recommended it. It was built by the noted Hudson Valley Gunsmith Jack Hansberry. It's been fired less than 50 times, and has a very clean bore. The brass has been allowed to age, thus it looks older than it is. It also lacks the gaudy decorative wirework and inlays associated with post revolutionary war guns. It's a very accurate rifle as seen from the target below.

gemmer
10-10-2017, 09:13 PM
With all due respect, IMHO, the carving behind the cheekpiece does not warrant the asking price.

RaiderANV
10-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Great thing about selling something.......seller can ask what he wants. In this case $70 for the craving and $1900 for the rifle.

Jim Cunningham
10-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Here's a picture of an original Fredric Sell. You'll see that the carving (and engraving) is crude when compared to expensive European arms of the same period, or when compared to 18th century musical instruments. The carving on the Issac Haines I'm offering is comparable to, and imitative of the originals. What I sought to avoid was inappropriate high art carving on a working rifle. This is afterall a pre-revolutionary war styled longrifle.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Bm9PtRsB_oU/UPFew0_zXSI/AAAAAAAA-no/EqfdSSj_85Q/s1600/Picture+3.png

Ron The Old Reb
10-12-2017, 07:41 AM
If you think that he is asking to much go to the Allentown gun show some time and see what they are asking for some of the junk their selling. I have seen used Lyman molds sell on E Bay for double what you can buy a new one for. Go for it Jim, It's a beautiful rifle, if I was younger and had the money I would buy it.

Jim Cunningham
10-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Thank you. I like to show the most accurate pictures possible. I'm old enough to remember black and white photography, and found they never accurately represented an item. I'd much prefer an accurate depiction to an attractive one.

[ATTACH]5889

Black and white photography is very flattering, but doesn't show the thing as it is. I've handled many original long rifles and have found the relief carving to be fairly simple. It was carved by a gunsmith rather than a sculptor.

Old Rvr
10-24-2017, 03:09 AM
Very nice and period Gunsmith Carving. I printed a couple of pictures of it last week, as I have been taking Woodcarving classes in hopes of creating something similar on a kit build model of my own.
I don't think that most of these builders back in the day had time to take time off to go and study under a Professional in Ny City or London for 6 mos. to a year to fine tune their Carving. Sarcasm intended, I think you're gun is exactly how the average one would have looked back during that time period. If I had the spare money I'd buy it. In fact an original one with similar Carving but more ornate brass sold at Amoskeg Auction for around $35,000 last year.
O.R.

Jim Cunningham
10-31-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm very happy with the carving because it's very representative of many originals I've seen. The pre-revolutionary rifle's were typically shorter barreled than the golden age longrifles most people associate with Pennsylvania rifles. The longer barreled, more highly decorated, smaller caliber rifles were developed after independence was won. A 38" swamped .54 caliber barrel, with sliding wooden patchbox, and simple carving is more representative of the style of rifle used to achieve victory.

Jim Cunningham
12-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Ugh, yes, it's a deerslayer, Uncas

Harley1247
12-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Thank you. I like to show the most accurate pictures possible. I'm old enough to remember black and white photography, and found they never accurately represented an item. I'd much prefer an accurate depiction to an attractive one.

[ATTACH]5889

Black and white photography is very flattering, but doesn't show the thing as it is. I've handled many original long rifles and have found the relief carving to be fairly simple. It was carved by a gunsmith rather than a sculptor.

That looks like a JP Beck rifle which I have.

RSiegel
12-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Did I miss something? What is the price of the rifle and is it still for sale?
Thanks.

Jim Cunningham
12-04-2017, 10:33 AM
The Rifle Is Sold