PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a Maynard - a Saga

Eggman
09-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Post deleted

RaiderANV
09-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Slides my recliner ah lil closer with soda and popcorn in hand. Great view now.....continue in video please! :D

* side note......I have PLENTY of expensive original Second Model parts if you mess up Sir Eggs. Post a pic of that spring??

Tom Magno, 9269V
09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
I pretty much got the same result by replacing the original mainspring with a Larry Gollahan spring. 12 pounds to 4 just like that. Voila.
Anyone know where I can get another one of those springs now that Larry isn't with us? After using it every season for the last 15 years it is finally too weak to consistently set caps off. Had to put the original spring back in! Not good for the upcoming nationals with a heavy trigger! At temporary shim on the full cock notch gets me to around 5 pounds - good enough for now, but well, no it's not. :(

Lou Lou Lou
09-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Get your hands on a Yeck mainspring. Bruce Cobb may have one.

Lou Lou Lou
09-18-2017, 03:30 PM
PleAse disregard. Mind went blank Thinking smith not Maynard . Smh

RaiderANV
09-18-2017, 03:35 PM
I'll have some with me at the Nationals Tom. I've tried every repro spring I have come across and Larry's is the best I've found so far.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-18-2017, 03:47 PM
I pretty much got the same result by replacing the original mainspring with a Larry Gollahan spring. 12 pounds to 4 just like that. Voila.
Anyone know where I can get another one of those springs now that Larry isn't with us? After using it every season for the last 15 years it is finally too weak to consistently set caps off. Had to put the original spring back in! Not good for the upcoming nationals with a heavy trigger! At temporary shim on the full cock notch gets me to around 5 pounds - good enough for now, but well, no it's not. :(

Add some small washers / shims under the spring .......... May help a little

Kevin Tinny
09-18-2017, 06:30 PM
Hi, Eggman:

Could it be, as it is on my First Models, that a rectangular, picture frame shaped stirrup fits between and serves to connect the spring "hook" with the corresponding hook on the hammer?

Thanks.
Kevin Tinny

RaiderANV
09-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Those "side tits" are to keep the MISSING stirrup on the main spring. The stirrup hooks on that hook on the hammer. You filed what appears to be an original $125-175 main spring.

It is the "sweetest" gun I own...." That's because it's ah Maynard Eggs!!

PS..... Distinct possibility that original spring filed thin will break. I have several I've removed from guns I bought over the years that had broken filed springs in them.

John Bly
09-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Several years ago I purchased Larry Gollahans remaining springs and the mold. I have had them made up since and have sold quite a few. His were marked with a "G" and mine are marked with a "B". They are the same spring except I think I did a better job on quality control. Nothing against Larry as he has passed on. I always made sure they had the proper curvature and were well deburred. S&S should have the springs in stock. Right now I'm out. I've got a batch of 85 castings that need worked up and heat treated. I'll have them complete by spring.

Eggman, You are missing the stirrup that connects the spring to the hammer. It is a rectangular shape that hooks on the spring and that hook shape on the hammer.. They will work without one but work much better with one.

RaiderANV
09-19-2017, 10:38 AM
As an afterthought let me add this, most of us are aware that springs are not only thinness sensitive, but also very heat sensitive. So I was careful not to get it too thin, not to get it very hot, and to NOT produce "notches" in the surface. Very confident it will outlast me. Taking bets.

I have $1000 it breaks on a day ending with a Y!

RaiderANV
09-19-2017, 04:30 PM
DONE!!!! Well shake on it at Nationals,,,,,BEFORE you shoot individuals.

John Bly
09-20-2017, 08:33 AM
I've seen quite a few broken Maynard mainsprings. I was stupid enough to leave the original in my 1st Mod Maynard and it broke at a skirmish. I've replaced a lot of those thumb breaker springs in original guns with Larry Gollahan and later my springs. All my shooter Maynards now have replacement springs in them. S&S is the only sutler with my springs in stock. Get one from them and keep it for a spare or install it as a safeguard. Make sure it is marked with a "B". They sold others that had an incorrect curve and pressed the trigger spring as the hammer was drawn back which changed the trigger pull. They may not have them anymore.

RaiderANV
09-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Sooooo.....what time did you finally get back to sleep??