PDA

View Full Version : Uberti forged frame m1858

threepdr
07-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Just got a new Uberti M58 revolver. Very pleased with the purchase. Perfect fit and finish, tight action and lock-up. The boxed was marked "Forged Frame". Is this a new feature? Any real advantage in a forged vs cast frame?

The action is smooth and the trigger is crisp. I have read about the need to harden he sear and notches on the hammer. Is this something I should do before I start using it, or is the need for this overstated.

Thanks for any input.

J Weber 4114V
07-13-2008, 06:55 PM
I would assume.....Uberti praising this fact would mean the previous ones
were not [duh]
Most of the gun parts made today are steel investment castings.This was made popular by Ruger many years ago.For cost reasons.And for most things it will work just fine.The Uberti people must of thought the IC frames were laking so .....

Charlie Hahn
07-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Building on the previous post, Investment cast parts from "steel" Sometimes have a post casting process call, "Hot Isosatic Pressing" This is done in a chamber at high pressure and heat. The process does not require matching tools required in "closed die" forging. To determine which process they are using you would need to look for ejection marks from the lost wax process used to make up the casting tree. If they are there then the forging process is the high pressure one noted above. If close die forging is used, almost all the surfaces should show machine marks.

One thing both forging process do is to conform grain structure in the frame, and I would prefer a forged item if I can get it.

As for the hammer sear hardening, before you do anything inspect it to see if they are hard or not, it is not good to do heat treating on items that don't need it. The simple way to check is by file strike near to the mating surface to see if it skids over the surface. Or you can give it to a gunsmith for an opinon.

Charlie Hahn