PDA

View Full Version : Starr Carbine help needed

moodyholler
02-13-2010, 03:33 PM
I have an original Starr carbine I would like to load for. Where do I find a mold? What about paper cartridges? Do I need a template? I also have a RF Starr. Does it use the same bullet as the percussion? Where can I find cases for it? Anything similar? I know I will have to use blank .22 cartridges for primers and index them before closing the breech. Thanks, moodyholler

Will
02-13-2010, 08:16 PM
I am not knowledgable on the Star carbine but I did find this on another forum............

"My specs are Land Dia.=.542", Groove Dia.= .552", Chamber Dia.=.560". I have been using Dixie .568" Dia. the quality is so so.......The original bullets were .555" Dia., weight 443 gr. I have found a N.E.I. mould which is very close at .556" Dia., 420 gr.......I plan to test 50, 55, and 60 gr. of FFG loads. I have already learned not to use FFFG as the higher pressure damaged the sealing ring on the breech block. "

And also this..................

"I've got loading data if you want to give me a call. 928-714-9484 I've also got the text of an article I sold to Gun Digest on shooting one of these. They bought that years ago but haven't yet printed it."

Hope this helps..................Will

Richard Hill
02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
I get good accuracy using the Rapine 544475 ring tail bullet, 546 sizer, and 42 grains of 2F Goex. I have used un-nitrated tissue paper for cartridges but am about to try some nitrated 9lb onion skin paper to see what burns up best. The sealing ring and groove MUST be kept as clean as possible or gas cutting will begin, and there's no way to replace worn sealing surfaces. I am also experimenting with various gasket materials, which I think will be required for long-term reliability.

I don't have a rim fire Starr but it took a specific case no longer available today. I have been told the 56-56 Spencer is close enough to use, but I don't know for sure. The case will need to be converted to rim fire.

Kenneth L. Walters
02-16-2010, 12:01 PM
I have an original Starr carbine I would like to load for. Where do I find a mold? What about paper cartridges? Do I need a template? I also have a RF Starr. Does it use the same bullet as the percussion? Where can I find cases for it? Anything similar? I know I will have to use blank .22 cartridges for primers and index them before closing the breech. Thanks, moodyholler

You might contact Romano Rifle and see if they could convert the gun to centerfire. I think that these used the 56-56 so I would think that such a conversion is possible.