PDA

View Full Version : Which series Whitworth?

Oregon Bill
07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Guys, I am trying to remember the criteria for determining whether any of the parts on a Whitworth reproduction are Parker Hale. Mine is in the serial number range 31XXX. The barrel is stamped "Parker Hale Ltd. Birmingham, England" on the top of the barrel just forward of the rear sight, and the stock bears the Parker Hale Ltd. roundel in the right cheek of the butt. But I am sure it is mostly an Italian gun based on the serial number, the wood-metal fit, the unpolished edges of the trigger guard and the sloppy checkering. Is there a chance the barrel itself was made by PH, or is it likely the whole rifle was made by Euroarms in Italy on PH machinery? The fellow I got it from said he bought it new about eight years ago.

Mike w/ 34th
07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Bill,

If it's eight years old and Italian, that would be rather surprising. I don't think Euroarms got the Parker-Hale equipment until late 2000 or early 2001. It may be one of the "middle gen" P-H rifles assembled by Gibbs Rifle Co. (supposedly in Martinsburg, WV) from Parker-Hale and Italian parts. Look for Italian proof marks on the left breech of the barrel and "Italy" on the front of the trigger guard. Also look for Birmingham Crown-over-BP black powder proofs on the barrel tang, and look under the barrel at the markings to determine where the barrel was actually made.

The serial number range is right for being an Italian P-H, but the proofs will tell the tale for sure. I have a P58 rifle with a 31xxx serial number and Italian proofs. Comparing it to a P58 with a 14xx serial number, Italian-made gun is way too chunky in the stock and much heavier in the barrel.

Cheers,

Michael

Oregon Bill
07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Michael: Thanks for the thoughts. There are indeed Italian proofs on the left side at the rear of the barrel under the wood line. On the bottom is "For Black Powder Only" and a tiny proof mark I can't decipher on both the barrel and the breech. No Italy on the trigger guard, at least where it shows. But probably an early all Italian, I guess.
Bill

Gary/CO
07-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Are you buying those expensive mounts for it Bill? If so, what scope do you plan to use?

Oregon Bill
07-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Gary: Those mounts are very expensive, and require actual inletting skills that I lack. I did manage to find a nice little 3/4-inch tube Weaver G4 scope as recommended by the mount manufacturer, but I think that is where the project will stand for now. Meanwhile, I will shoot the Whit as is.