PDA

View Full Version : British pattern 1856 N0.2 bar-on Band short rifle

pwmcginn
02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I would like to know the value of this musket.This is a 2 band short rifle which is stocked to within 1.25" of the muzzle.A bayonet would be attached to the upper barrel band.It has a Birmingham small arms trade crown cartouche on the stock.It is also stamped J.Woodward and Son behind the trigger guard.If you have any info on the value,please let me know
Thanks for your help
Pat

Jim Mayo
02-11-2010, 11:53 PM
J. Woodward & Son is usually the stock maker and based on the post below also the gun maker in this case (name on lock). The gun was made from parts produced by various gun makers in the Birmingham Arms trade. Value will depend on condition and any inspectors marks if present.

ken chrestman
02-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Pat;

I recently obtained a J.Woodward iron mounted, checkered at the wrist 2 band Volunteer Rifle with shiny bore complete with the saber bayonet, snap cap and all sling swivels. My lock is marked J.Woodward no date not the stock. Range should be $1,500-$2,500 depending on the condition, etc. Hope this helps. Mine is NOT a bar on band, I recall the Potts & Hunt bar on band is dated 1860.

Regards;

Ken Chrestman,7147V

pwmcginn
02-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info.The lock is marked tower the date is 1861.I am going to the Allentown Pa antique gun show Saturday and try to get some feedback.
thanks again
Pat McGinn