PDA

View Full Version : Sharps papers

ian45662
02-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Do you guys use nitrated papers to roll your sharps rounds? I am using printer paper and I was just wondering if nitrating it was necessary.

Southron Sr.
02-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I use the "Ladies Hair Curler Papers" that are available at beauty supply shops. Not only are they strong, but they are also cut the right size. Personally, I do not nitrate mine, but the safest course would be to do so.

The advantage I see using the Ladies Hair Curler Papers is that they are CHEAP. I purchased a pack of thousands fr less than ten bucks several years ago and I have at least a 5-10ar supply of papers left from that purchase.

Other skirmishers I know use cigarette rolling papers. Theoretically these papers are already "nitrated," but the problem with the rolling papers is that a lot of federal tobacco taxes are included in the price of those papers-so they are expensive to use.

So when it comes to making Sharps cartridges, nitrated paper is the safest way to go-especially if you plan on doing any rapid firing.

GOOD LUCK

Greg Ogdan, 11444
02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes, I nitrate my papers. I cut my papers from 14lb legal pad paper I got at Office Depot, I think. I mix 6 oz of nitratre crystals in 1/2 gallon of water and soak the paper for about 20 minutes. The wholle process is a PITA, but the gun shoots for me.

Rich Siegel 8846
02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I was nitrating my copier paper cartridges but when I saw people using cardboard tubes, I stopped nitrating. Have had no problems.
Rich

ian45662
02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Is that because you are going with the cardboard or are you still using paper? By the way rich how are things going? You going to spring nationals?

Rich Siegel 8846
02-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Ian, I'm still using the paper for the cartridge for the Sharps. And yes, I'm going to the Spring Nationals if it ever stops snowing in the sunny south.
Rich

Greg Ogdan, 11444
02-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Ian,
Rich is not toe only one who has gone to Charlie's tubes. The cardboard tubes work really well from what I have seen; but I'm cheap and I have time in the winter, so I go through the PITA of making nitrated cartridges. Just me. I've got a teammate who uses hair curler or cigarette papers and they work well also, with no nitrate.
I believe it is more important to get enough lube on the bullet and shoot "hard" lead, than to leave a bit of paper in the bore because you didn't nitrate.

Edwin Flint, 8427
02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
I have used the following without nitrating the paper:

parchment paper used in cooking.
tissue paper used for stuffing into gift bags and in boxes to take up space.
yellow pages from a phone book. Tried the white pages but they didn't burn as completely.

I am currently working through the parchment papers.