PDA

View Full Version : Original Smith Carbine - any interest in these?

PA boy in MI
08-11-2017, 09:52 AM
I am helping a friend who inherited several old guns, including an original Smith Carbine. There is no information about how it came into his family's possession in MI. He is looking for a reasonable price and a good home for it.
Saddle ring model. S/N 208xx. Made by Mass Arms Co.
By NRA condition rules it would rate between Good and Very Good condition. IMHO it is in average condition, here are some details:
It is complete - only missing part was hammer screw (replacement). The sights are both intact.
It does not appear to have been refinished. No remaining blue or case colors remain. It is only partially covered with light pitting.
Buttstock cartouches are both visible, but hard to read. The inspector's mark on barrel looks like "CSL" with a "P" stamp below.
It locks up tightly. The bore is shiny with clearly visible rifling. There is some sporadic bore pitting closer to the breech.
With respect to the lock, it is not functioning. Both the trigger spring and mainspring appear intact, but the stirrup is broken. The tumbler looks OK. Except for the stirrup, the internals appear in good condition.
I am not sure if there is still much interest in these guns, and I thought of N-SSA first. As a young person my first exposure to shooting REAL guns was a N-SSA type event in Lancaster PA ~ 1971 where I got to shoot an 1863 Springfield and see a cannon fired. What an experience for a 12 year old!
If there is interest I will try and post photos. I can be reached directly at ipt109@gmail.com.
The gun is located in the Metro Detroit area.
Thank you!