PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli 1841 replica quality

Niederlander
08-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Gentlemen,
Does anyone here shoot a Pedersoli 1841 Mississippi? How do they compare (especially the lock) to an original Mississippi? I've got a Zoli, but the lock is pretty bad. I'm even considering building up an original lock to put on it, but before I do that I'd like to know how the quality is. I had a cartridge Sharps by Pedersoli for a while and it was top notch, almost as nice as my Shiloh. Are there muzzleloading rifles that nice?

MR. GADGET
08-09-2017, 08:13 PM
I have several of their guns. All very nice.

As for the Mississippi it is very nice. Have not pulled the lock to compair with a original but have looked it over and far better than a Euro Arms was.

Hal
08-09-2017, 08:15 PM
My wife shoots a Pedersoli 2 band Enfield. It is very nice. Can't speak for the 1841, but if the Enfield is any indicator.......

mike davenport
08-09-2017, 08:46 PM
The internals of the reproduction locks follow the style of the 1863 Remington Zouave. in other words original parts will not interchange for the most part in the reproduction locks. that said the quality of the parts mfg today in Italy are quite a bit better than in the early years. they do no compare to original quality but as long as you don't remove all the case hard top finish ( by filing, always use a stone) you can get a decent trigger pull ( 3 to 5 lbs) with a minimum of creep.

there are several machine tool makers who have made replacement reproduction parts and if you can come across one of those sets, i would scoop it up and replace when your existing set gets too much to deal with.

As always these statements are just my humble opinions and are not meant to endorse or detract from any mfg parts or processes.

Mike Davenport
DSR

Curt
08-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Hallo!

IMHO the three most noticeable differences are:

1. Where the half and full cock notches fall in relation to the hammer nose vs cone height.

2. The "compression ratio" or curve on cast (and often randomly QC'd) repro springs versus that of originals.

3. The repro's tend to be a bit "bulky" and "clunky" compared to the feel and "grace" of originals.

Others' mileage may vary...

Curt

Niederlander
08-20-2017, 10:47 PM
The internals of the reproduction locks follow the style of the 1863 Remington Zouave. in other words original parts will not interchange for the most part in the reproduction locks. that said the quality of the parts mfg today in Italy are quite a bit better than in the early years. they do no compare to original quality but as long as you don't remove all the case hard top finish ( by filing, always use a stone) you can get a decent trigger pull ( 3 to 5 lbs) with a minimum of creep.

there are several machine tool makers who have made replacement reproduction parts and if you can come across one of those sets, i would scoop it up and replace when your existing set gets too much to deal with.

As always these statements are just my humble opinions and are not meant to endorse or detract from any mfg parts or processes.

Mike Davenport
DSR
Hello! Who are the people who have made these parts, and where do I find them?