PDA

View Full Version : makeing uniforms

ian45662
02-05-2010, 09:26 PM
How hard would it be for someone with no experience to make his or her own trousers and shirts?

Jim Mayo
02-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Very hard if you want to end up with a reasonable replica of a uniform. A US sack coat may be easier to make than a CS shell jacket. Even with a kit however some basic sewing skills and knowledge are required.

Correct patterns would be required and they are not available at your local sewing supply store.

ian45662
02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
How does one learn to sew?

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
02-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Maybe you could find some help learning how to sew from ladies of the N-SSA that make there own dresses for the Costume Competition, by making a post on the "Costume Competition" topic. Just a thought.

Kurt Lacko 7862
02-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Some high school night courses offer sewing classes. There are also classes offered at sewing supply stores like "Jo-Ann Fabrics", "Cloth World" (if there still around) etc. I think that would be your best bet unless you live close to one of the N-SSA clothing competition persons. Kurt.

Mark Latham, 9982
02-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Hello,

Correct patterns and "kits" are available, along with proper fabrics and trim. Longtime N-SSA member Charlie Childs has been supplying these items for years, Charlie shoots with Hardaway's Alabama Battery and is one of the best resources for this material.

Charlie's website: http://www.crchilds.com/

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions I will do my best to help you.

Regards,

Mark Latham, 34th Bttn Va. Cav.

Mike w/ 34th
02-23-2010, 10:47 AM

My grandmother taught me when I was about six or seven. I've made a couple uniforms, and I've also taken a "JoAnn" class on sewing. The class was worthless, by the way. Best way is to find someone who sews Civil War uniforms and get them to coach you.

If you can't find a coach, then two books that you should read are "The Confederate Sketchbook" and "The Lady's Guide to Plain Sewing". The former will show you how things are put together, the latter shows you how to do the stitches. Kit instructions won't tell you necessarily which stitch to use for which seam.

You can probably assemble a kit yourself if you get some practice first. Buy some cheap denim or fake wool and do a test run.

Michael Collins
02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Ian,

Welcome. Making your own uniform is the most challenging and rewarding experience you will encounter in this hobby. It takes patience and an eye for detail. However, it can be done with persistence and an understanding of simple sewing. There are several good Websites that can show you the basics. But practice will be your biggest ally.

If you have never done Hand-sewing, get a piece of cloth and some thread and practice a few stitch types. The one you'll need to master is the "Whip-Stitch". If you get this down, you are on your way.

As Mr. Latham suggested above, Charlie Childs Website is a good start; as is CJ Daley's. Also consider Sheri McCullah's site, Galla Rock too. They have excellent information and detailed photos of various uniform subjects.

You may want to invest in some good reference books as well. Short of handling actual Civil War Uniforms, you should have some references for the Uniform you wish to make or copy. If doing Confederate, get Frederick Adolphus's book :Imported Confederate Uniforms of Peter Tait & Co., Limerick Ireland and Tom Arliskas' book: Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown.
As for both Union and Confederate: Uniforms of the Civil War by Robin Smith and Ron Field.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Good luck to you.

Respectfully,

Michael Collins

ken chrestman
02-23-2011, 11:58 AM
As luck would have it I was cleaning out a drawer and came across an article I saved on how to make an economy uniform from existing garmets. The first is a sack and shell jacket out of a sport coat and the others are how to modify shirts and trousers. Skirmish Line Oct-Nov-Dec 2003, If you cannot locate a copy PM me for details.

Hope this helps;

Ken Chrestman 7147V

Michael Collins
02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
As luck would have it I was cleaning out a drawer and came across an article I saved on how to make an economy uniform from existing garmets. The first is a sack and shell jacket out of a sport coat and the others are how to modify shirts and trousers. Skirmish Line Oct-Nov-Dec 2003, If you cannot locate a copy PM me for details.

Hope this helps;

Ken Chrestman 7147V

Wow! A blast from the past. I trust the Uniform committee would take issue with modifying Sports coats and "Dickies/Sears work pants to make an authentic looking Uniform Impression. Especially since so much has transpired in the area of recreating authentic looking Civil War clothing. Measures like this fall in the area of utility.

The reason the Miller Award has been observed revolves on the making and presentation of your Units impression authentically. If we can spend $1500 on a Musket, $2300 on a Carbine and $500 on pistol, spending a fraction of this on your Uniform seems minor.

If you're going to do it, do it right. I might contact you Ken for a copy. I'm always up for a good read...

Respectfully,

Michael Collins