PDA

View Full Version : Mystery M1855 Lock

Steve Blancard
02-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a reproduction M1855 lock that is very well made, but I don't know who made it. It is missing a few parts such as the primer door, door catch and primer feed mechanism parts. It is dated 1861 and marked Harpers Ferry. It is also color case hardened which is very unusual. I tried the lock retaining screws from a Miroku 1861 and they fit this lock, so it appears to have metric threads. The only identifying marks are on the inside of the lock plate, the initials JP and H. It appears to be fully machined for the Maynard pimer feed parts, although they are missing.

I've posted a few photos here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/576612643UTfocW

Cany anyone shed light on this lock? Who made it? Why was it color case hardened? I would like to at least get a door and catch for it so I can use it.

Thanks

Steve Blancard
13th Va. Co A.

R. McAuley 3014V
02-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Cany anyone shed light on this lock? Who made it? Why was it color case hardened? I would like to at least get a door and catch for it so I can use it.

You can use the lock "as-is" provided it fits your stock, and works as good as any M-1861 lock might. But if you want the feed mechanism to operate, then you'll need more than just a primer door and hinge pin. Certainly, one of the parts you'll need is a new stirrup because the one that's installed is for a M-1861/63. Gator Den and S&S each have parts, as does Lodgewood, so it's really just a matter of ordering the parts you need and putting them together. By all means, if you need help and want Mr Zimmerman or Mr Blair's assistance, I'm sure they'll oblige for some $$$. As for why anyone would color case-harden the lock-plate; it's probably because that was the original armory finish for this model arm. The M-1861 were finished "bright", while the M-1863 Type I and Type II were each color case-hardened. This was done so the lock would be more resistant to wear and corrosion, and is only a surface-deep treatment. The iron beneath remained soft. If you don't want it to be color case-hardened, you can take it off with emery cloth just as the soldiers of that period did. Your skin is thicker than it is.

Charlie Hahn
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
The lock you have is made by Pete O'Neill. It should accept original screws, but he did make a few that where metric. The color case is an option provided for specific customers. If you are missing internal items he may have some to repair the lock as he makes all the internal items to original specification, but on an extremely limited bases. The JP is his mark.

Charlie Hahn

Steve Blancard
02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Gents,

Thanks for your replys. I knew the 1855 locks were case hardened, but from everything I've read, they were then ploished bright. I've heard that JRA sold these to represent muskets that were assembled with incomplete locks during Jackson's occupation of Harpers Ferry or immediately afterwards in Richmond. This lock is beaautifully made, Pete O'neill is quite a craftsman.

Thanks,
Steve Blancard