PDA

View Full Version : Looking for round ball mold..

William H. Shuey
07-30-2017, 03:04 PM
I have a 51 Navy with a slightly oversized bore. Can anyone point me to a source for a .382" round ball mold??

Bill Shuey
whshuey@verizon.net

John Holland
07-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Another thing to watch out for with some percussion revolvers is that sometimes the bore is a larger diameter than the chambers in the cylinder. In that case the chambers have to be reamed to accommodate the larger diameter ball.

Hellgate
07-31-2017, 05:31 PM
John is correct. Once you ram the ball into the chamber it is the diameter of the chamber. If the chambers are smaller than the bore then the ball will rattle down the bore with poor accuracy. If the bore is truly .380 you'll need chambers of at least .380 diameter for best results and maybe even up to .383". Is this an original Navy or a repro? I've never heard of anyone having one with that large of a bore in an Italian gun. I believe LEE makes a double cavity .380 diameter roundball mold.

William H. Shuey
07-31-2017, 06:11 PM
John is correct. Once you ram the ball into the chamber it is the diameter of the chamber. If the chambers are smaller than the bore then the ball will rattle down the bore with poor accuracy. If the bore is truly .380 you'll need chambers of at least .380 diameter for best results and maybe even up to .383". Is this an original Navy or a repro? I've never heard of anyone having one with that large of a bore in an Italian gun. I believe LEE makes a double cavity .380 diameter roundball mold.

I had Charlie Hahn work his majic on the gun in question and open the chambers to .380 and do the 8° barrel throat job. Now just need the ball to fit.

Bill Shuey

Chris Sweeney
08-01-2017, 10:12 AM
If the chambers are really .380, then a .382 ball is going to be sized down to 380 anyways. Lee makes a .380 mold. Mine casts at about .381 at the alloy and temperature I use. They are for sale all over for between 20 and 25 bucks new.

William H. Shuey
08-02-2017, 03:55 PM
I have a Lee mold that someone played with and the ball is in the 380 range. Do you want to try it? The cost is $25 shipped. If the mold does not work, money minus shipping will be refunded.

True Blue and Diamond hard,
Harry Gaul
3rd US
3626v

Hi Harry:

Give me an e-mail ( whshuey@verizon.net ) and we will make a deal. I will take by mail or if you are going to the Wainright or Gator Skirmish we can connect in person.

Bill Shuey