PDA

View Full Version : Replace Zoli Mississippi tumber with Euroarms?

threepdr
07-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Helllo folks, I'm trying to get a Zoli Mississippi into shooting shape. The tumbler has a nick of the half cock notch. It sill holds securely, but I don't want to wait for it to fail. No Zoli parts are available so I ordered a Euroarms Mississippi tumbler to replace it. it looks the same (Euroarms is much better quality, however) and geometry appears to be the same. When assembled without the mainspring, all is good. The hammer/tumbler pivots and the sear engages as it should. However, with the mainspring installed it will not go back far enough for the sear to engage even the half-cock. I can see nothing obvious obstructing it.

Has anyone else made this repair. Any ideas on what may be preventing this from working?

Thanks!

Charlie Hahn
07-21-2017, 05:51 PM
You should see if the foot of the spring is hitting the tumbler. This is typically the issue. You may need to shorten the spring or rework the tumbler profile a little.

I am working on replacement springs for the Zoli locks and may have some at the Fall National, tumblers may also be in the works.

Charlie Hahn

threepdr
07-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks Charlie,

Unfortunately, that is not the issue. The stirrup still has room between itself and the tumbler edge. It is not touching.

Please keep us informed on the springs and tumblers. I wont be at the Fall Nationals, but still would be interested in both.

P.Altland
07-21-2017, 06:53 PM
"Please keep us informed on the springs and tumblers. I wont be at the Fall Nationals, but still would be interested in both."

I would interested in a few as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Michael Bodner
07-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Mark,

A picture would help, but remember, you can do a lot of grinding/cutting of the tumbler at the half-cock without affecting the performance of the trigger pull. The half-cock is only needed as the 'safety'. It does not affect the trigger pull nor accuracy of the gun.

I personally have had to re-cut the half-cock notch, sometimes severely, on several locks. Most of the time, it was a result of creating a good trigger pull only to discover that the half-cock notch was too high and would hit the sear (on a standard 'heavy' pull trigger, the sear is so far back due to a strong trigger finger, that it misses the half-cock hump of the tumbler.

Another way to look at it - If you're going to replace it anyway, what harm can you do reshaping the existing one? Even if you 'ruin' it, you were planning on tossing it anyway...

BTW: I use a Dremel with a narrow (thin) cutting disc to recut the notch. use a file to reduce the height of the tumbler. In this area, it's generally not hardened.

Good luck!!

-Mike

threepdr
07-24-2017, 12:24 PM
Mike,

That is good point of fixing the half cock notch on the zoli tumbler. I can do that also if need be.

RaiderANV
07-25-2017, 08:58 AM
I second Mikes suggestion. I've fixed dozens of them this way. Cut the half-cock slot deeper then smooth the top off a tad so the sear misses it. Fixed!