PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Minie to Fit .58 Howdah

LeMat1856
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
hi and thanks for your time and experience,

i recently picked up a pedersoli (S-x-S) .58 from cabela and the brand new box arrives without any users manual - lots of junk mail and a dvd about the three generations of this family business - but no actual howdah details (twist rate, lands/grooves, bore", loads, etc.) so...

i started with "gloria" of the customer service dept (she actually speaks english... sorta) and got some of the basics before getting the sense that i was pulling teeth for every single fact i would need and decided to just wing it.

one thing she mentioned that disappointed me was that conical/minie were not the preferred round even though it is rifled.. i tried some anyway (.577"/553gr) with 40gr FF and they didn't exactly get the results i was looking for so i wondered if Buffalo Bal-ets (.58/380gr) with a heavier load might work better.. problem is i can't find the actual diameter of these anywhere on the box or in a product discription..

so, after all that, would these work better than the rifle conicals and does anyone know the true diameter of the buffalo's ?

also, any other comments on this model of howdah would be appreciated.

thanks,
~daniel~

Bub524
01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
My experience with a couple of these rifles, and I believe yours is the same as the old Kodiak .58 double, is that they shoot .57 cal. (570) round balls the best.
All 3 that I owned didn't shoot conicals at very well. They did shoot the 570 RB very well. However, with all 3 both barrels although very accurate alone, never shot to the same point. Which is why I don't have them any more.

Addendum
I guess I stand corrected. I thought you were speaking of the rifle variety.
Sorry.

Hambone
01-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Daniel,

If you will go to this link http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/?item=ArmiCategoriaDettaglio&CategoriaId=129&lang=en it will take you to the page for your gun.
It shows the twist rate etc. and there is an exploded view of the gun. Under the SUPPORT tab at the top of the page you will find a list with suggested loads for all their guns.

hobbler
01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Could the second shot load shift with anything that doesn't have a good firm interference fit in the barrel?
PS,
Gloria helped me and gets a big thumbs up. :D

J Weber 4114V
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
The mold listed for that hawg leg is a RB @ .575. Who knows what the bore size is.As with any of the arms we shoot you need a accurate bore size...First.
With a fast 1:20 twist I would use a RB. and they should be tight fit as firing one barrel may move the other ball away from the charge....That can be BAD.
As the orgionals were made for short range coo D tah on tigers and such at 10 feet or so.....
My .02 worth not having seen one before

WV SCROUNGER
02-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Good advice Mr Weber, but I got a chuckle outta that

COO d Tah phrase....I "ll bet Dan did too! I do however bet that you meant
COUP De Grace....( a Final shot so to speak) Je parle un peu de francais .

.....WV SCROUNGER