PDA

View Full Version : Wilkenson (?) Bullet

shilohzowie
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I bought a three gang mould from Geg Edington around eight (?) years ago. I've long lost or thrown the box away. I believe it to be .580. The best way to describe it is a christmas tree on a two ring stand.(forgive my description and ignorance of its' proper name, however there are no markings on the mould). I recall being told that the bullet is lube sensitive. I never got around to trying it, so now that I have the time I'd like to give it a whirl. My questions are these : If I shoot a .576 can I size this down from .580 without distorting the bullet? My understanding is that these bullets when under pressure "swell" into the rifling. Would sizing render this bullet ineffective due to the pressure of sizing? Also, how is the bullet lubed? just in the rings of the "stand" or also in the shaft connecting the base to the "tree" itself? If a picture of a properly lubed bullet is availabe that would be tremendous. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

ken chrestman
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
You can size them down, just use a soft lube for best results. I use 1 part beeswax to 3 parts crisco, works for me, no lube war needed.

The design is what is commonly called a "compression" bullet, seat on powder then give two seating taps and you are set to go.

Hope this helps;

Ken Chrestman, 7147V

shilohzowie
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks Ken, now how deep do I dip them when lubing?

Tom Magno, 9269V
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
In my experience, sizing of Wilikinson bullets can be done, but only by a base-push type sizer (Harmon type, or NorthEast Trader push-through sizer for a loading press), and not by nose press (Lyman Lubrisizer) type. The nose-push type pre-compresses the bullet and it does not obturate properly. Your experience may differ. I size my .54 caliber Wilkinsons down from .545 to .539 with a Harmon die without any problems, and retain excellent performance and accuracy.

shilohzowie
01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Now that it has been estblished that the bullet can be sized using a method I utilize, my next question is concerning lube. I hand dip my bullets individually. Should these bullets be lubed only on the two small rings on the base or should the lube cover the shaft which connects the base to the body? If only on the two small base rings,it seems as though this isn't enough lube to do what lube is suppose to do.

Tom Magno, 9269V
01-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I hand dip mine in the same fashion as a minnie. Load your quick charge tube, insert Wilikinson nose-down in tube. Dip base and exposed ring(s). Voila, done. Do not lube with a lube-sizer - it forces too much lube in the rings and can prevent full expansion when fired (hydraulic lock?). Again - my experience - your experience may differ. The lube from hand dipping the one groove on my .54 Wlikinson holds enough and works great and bore is wet at the muzzle.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
I do use a Lyman Lubra-sizer, but I don't fill the groove. I really don't take more than a thousanth off the bullet, and then only turn the lever a titch or two. More than half the cavity is empty.

I mix my own lube, and make it a little soft for these.

Greg Edington
01-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Hello,

You can hand dip or lubrisize the bullet if you do lubrisize the nose pilot must fit the nose or the bullet will go out of alignment and be ruined. I prefer to push size the Wilkinson or Williams bullet. Lee Precision will custom make a push sizer for you that is honed and case hardened that is far superior to the Northeast Trading Co. version, the only drawback is that you have to wait several weeks for it. I recommend soft lubes for the bullet, its best not to completely fill the compression groove with lubricant, but with some barrels with deep multi-groove rifling i.e. Bill Large, Harmon-Large the bullet expands anyway with excess lube being pumped into the groove. Lens Lube, Beeswax-Crisco, MCM, cut down bore butter, and other lubes as long as they are not hard can be used. The bullet has a wiping effect when used with a soft lube and shallow, or progressive depth rifling, the Improved Williams bullet even more so. Much of this information is with the ballistics sheet that originally came with the mold. I hope the information helps.

Best Wishes:

Greg Edington