PDA

View Full Version : Ballard Receivers that were at the Nationals to be inspected for approval for use.

WBR10654
06-07-2017, 11:38 AM
So when I was being helped by that nice group of weapons inspectors at the Nationals I saw in the "other room" some what appeared to be "Cast" Ballard Receivers and I asked about them and was told they were being inspected for approval.

I was wondering, who submitted them and if they were "approved"? I should have asked then.

I built my Ballard Carbine from parts, (original and new) and was thinking about doing the same to build a Ballard Rifle.

AND

The "boys" were most helpful in my visit to try to get the "specs" to rebuild an original 1864 Springfield to pass inspection,,, the barrel and wood had been cut off to short to pass.

I have the barrel with Hoyt and now need to start working on getting the stock fixed.

DPBaldwin
WBR-10654V

warnerl1
06-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Hi - I sent you a PM.

Lynn Warner
6th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Adjutant

John Holland
06-16-2017, 02:21 PM
The reproduction Ball & Williams Ballard receivers referred to were submitted to the Board of Directors and approved for use. Note it is stated "Approved For Use", this means that once you have assembled a Ballard around this new receiver you are required to have it inspected and have a SAC Individual Approval Card issued for the arm.

The receivers were submitted by, are being marketed by, Alvin Bumford of the 149th PVI Bucktails.

WBR10654
06-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Thanks,

I have two other rifles I am in the middle of but when they are done I will get on this.

DPBaldwin

The reproduction Ball & Williams Ballard receivers referred to were submitted to the Board of Directors and approved for use. Note it is stated "Approved For Use", this means that once you have assembled a Ballard around this new receiver you are required to have it inspected and have a SAC Individual Approval Card issued for the arm.

The receivers were submitted by, are being marketed by, Alvin Bumford of the 149th PVI Bucktails.

MR. GADGET
06-16-2017, 08:38 PM

John,
Are these a SN gun and do they fall under ATF rule for modern firearms?

John Holland
06-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Mr. Bumford and his attorney worked very closely with the BATFE to produce a receiver which does not require FFL registration.

MR. GADGET
06-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Mr. Bumford and his attorney worked very closely with the BATFE to produce a receiver which does not require FFL registration.

Great that is good to know.

Always wanted to play with them. Maybe now is the time.