PDA

View Full Version : Starr m1858 DA 44 percussion revolver

kotkinjs1
06-01-2017, 10:00 PM
I recently picked up a Starr model 1858. The serial number is early - 3945, all matching - so I was wondering if there was any way to pin down a manufacture date? Also, if there is any way to decipher the few marks on it. The SN facing front under the barrel has an H (I think) stamped next to it. On the left side of the frame there are two small Ks about an inch apart vertically to the rear of the cylinder and that's it. I can't tell if there are any inspector's marks on the grips - either worn away or never present can't tell. But the early SN would make me think it was part of the initial Army run if they got the first batch? Finally, any idea on a price range? Flayderman says the difference is negligible between civil or martially-stamped pieces and the prices range from 800 to over 2K, good to very fine? It's got some minor pitting I'd consider but not completely worn down to grey metal.

Eggman
06-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Can't provide any answers to your tech questions, but if you decide to shoot it - I would select a barn as a target and then stand inside the barn to make sure you don't miss.

RaiderANV
06-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Ya fergot ta tell him ta close the doors first!