PDA

View Full Version : Why don't I see any 10-inch mortars at the Nationals?

cannonmn
07-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Charlie owns one and I thought it would show up at the Nationals now and then in competition. Since I've never seen it at Ft. Shenandoah, does anyone know if it is:

-too heavy for the bridge over the creek?

-too expensive to feed?

-not allowed by NSSA and if so why not?

The thought did occur to me that it has an original cast iron barrel, and there's something in the regs that original cast iron barrels have to be sleeved? Does that apply to mortars or only guns and howitzers? It would be kind of silly trying to sleeve an original 10-inch mortar, the only thing you could really do would be to make a sleeve with inside dimensions the same as an 8-inch mortar, then shoot it as an 8-inch, which would be a lot of trouble for nothing.

propertymanager
07-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Charlie has shot his 10" at a National. There are no regulations prohibiting shooting it here and the bridge is plenty stout enough as we have trucks in excess of 40 tons crossing it regularly. The main reasons for not bringing it have been logistics to move it around and get it here. He has told me that he is hoping to bring it again in the future.

Tim

cannonmn
07-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks Tim, will look forward to seeing it there one day.

I guess you have also answered the question regarding a steel liner requirement for original cast-iron mortars. Apparently one is not required? I don't have the exact wording of the liner requirement, so maybe it is clear from that, I don't know.

Norm Gibson, 4901V
07-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Cannonmn, From the rules... "All reproduction barrels must be made of iron, steel or bronze. All reproduction barrels and original barrels failing inspection must be lined with a bore liner of extruded seamless steel tubing of a minimum ANSI standard and of a minimum 3/8-inch wall thickness."

If it passes inspection it does not need to be lined.