PDA

View Full Version : A Richond rifle-musket story

Dave Fox
05-31-2017, 11:31 AM
A story. In the '80s I picked up a relic high-hump 1861 Richmond at a Knoxville show. Richmonds have an allure for me, especially those first ones, like this, assembled between October and December, 1861. This $250 purchase had just a stub of a barrel and had seen those proverbial better days. The hammer has the remnant of the Maynard knife edge and the lock innards are original, including an M.1855 triangular stirrup with the redundant hole for a tape feeder arm. The buttstock boasted a Harper's Ferry patchbox in a Richmond assembled stock...no spare cone hole. I slapped a 25-foot restoration of sorts together; original bands, band springs, M.1839 sling, refurbished dug brass nosecap, modified M1861 U.S. barrel, new rammer and forestock. My first visit to Fort Shenandoah earlier this month inspired me. there I acquired an original M.1855/61 rammer, 1860-dated M.1855 barrel, and, from this forum I'm putting together a correct M.1855 rear sight. A talented friend will fit a Dunlap forestock. So, while y'all were shooting your brains out at the Nationals, a relic Richmond began a rebirth! I'll keep you posted.

Michael Bodner
05-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Dave,

How cool!! I'm always glad to see that the old dogs will be barking again soon.

Why not come out to Statesville this weekend for a Carolina Region skirmish? Come Saturday morning and we'll let you give it a try (our guns and ammo, no cost to you) and you can meet and talk with folks and find out what we do! Who knows, you might like it!!! LOL

Ask for me, Bootsie (Mike Bodner) or Jim Rogers and we'll be happy to talk with you and show you around.

Exact address for the Statesville shoot is: 1742 Turnersville Hwy, Statesville, NC Follow the gravel/dirt road into Allison Woods, pass the mill pond, keep following the 'main' road until you pop-out onto the grass airstrip. We're all on the left - Can't miss it.

Lunch is available a very reasonable prices.

To best enjoy the day, arrive before or around 10 AM so you can get some shooting in, and then enjoy watching some of the team matches like Revolver, Carbine, and Smoothbore.

Hope to see you there!

-Mike

Dave Fox
05-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Alas, have an anniversary coming up. I lied when I said it was my first visit to the fort. Participated in high school in with an Illinois unit 1961. Tried to post a photo of the Richmond but the site won't let me do it.

Michael Bodner
05-31-2017, 03:45 PM
No worries! Y'all know how hot it can get in the Carolinas, so we take most of the summer off. Next Statesville shoot will be on September 15-17. Same location.

http://www.carolinaregion.net/index.html#TOC

-Mike

Dave Fox
06-02-2017, 10:56 AM
the Richmond rifle-musket