PDA

View Full Version : 1842 Springfield

dogtagg88
05-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Recently acquired 69 smoothbore original, bought it to collect it, now of course the urge to shoot it has struck. Any info on loads, ball size, shooting it the original way and the N-SSA way would be appreciated. Anyone have a mold for sale? As you can see, I know almost nothing about these. Always wanted one because that's what grand pappy carried. Thanks in advance! D

ms3635v
05-30-2017, 12:53 PM
I am shooting an original 1849 Harpers Ferry .69 caliber smoothbore. The barrel has been relined (bore diameter is .686 and was measured with an inside micrometer) . I am shooting a .674" Roundball from a Moose Mould (almost no sprue from this mould) with 60 grains of 2F Olde Eynsford. I roll the round balls in Lee Alox and let dry. This combination works well for me; however, there are many combinations being used. I would say that you should try different methods and find the one that works the best. You should get a lot of responses to this thread.

Maillemaker
05-30-2017, 02:03 PM
I shoot a reproduction ArmiSport 1842 using an RCBS .678 round ball and a Mike Rouche sprue cutter. Then I roll the balls between two files, and then double-dip in Lee Alox (Actually xlox - way cheaper). I shoot them with 70 grains 3F Goex.

Steve

Eggman
05-30-2017, 07:34 PM
I'll admit that Maielstromaker does real well with that combination, but he's off a bit. Use a Lyman .678 mould (sprue remover OK), roll between two RASPS to get that extra feathering, his powder charge is too much (abusive), use 56 grains fffg. Did real good with this at natl. -- beat Lani Harrison I believe.

jonk
06-02-2017, 12:44 AM
I use a .678 ball with sprue removed, then all the balls go in a plastic coffee can and are shaken vigorously to dimple them a bit. I tried the file routine and never found it to be worth it.

I shoot 50 gr of 3f goex with the ball seated in the tube so part of it protrudes, then that is dipped in melted musket lube.

I'm not the best smoothbore shooter on our team by any means, but when I hand the gun to the guy who IS, he rarely misses with this load.

I have had fine results with the liquid alox method too, but find it cokes up a bit more in hot weather.

I chose the powder charge I shoot because it groups best. I know the guys on the 110th OVI (who usually crush everyone in smoothbore) generally all are using fairly light loads too, 40-55 grains of 3f. Some might be shooting others. Point is, once you get your mold, as with any gun, play around with powder charges and lubes and see what works for you.

gemmer
06-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Recently acquired 69 smoothbore original, bought it to collect it, now of course the urge to shoot it has struck. Any info on loads, ball size, shooting it the original way and the N-SSA way would be appreciated. Anyone have a mold for sale? As you can see, I know almost nothing about these. Always wanted one because that's what grand pappy carried. Thanks in advance! D

Check the bore size. Armi '42s can have oversize bores up to around .695.

jonk
06-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Check the bore size. Armi '42s can have oversize bores up to around .695.

This is true with any smoothbore, but once you get in the 10/1000" range (i.e. your ball should be around that size undersize) you can probably work up a good load. you might try tighter balls, but if it is any looser than that, odds are you won't get accuracy, so it is indeed worth checking.