PDA

View Full Version : TulAmmo question

ken stiles, 0526V
05-29-2017, 11:11 AM
sorry this isn't N-SSA or black powder related; but i trust you guys more than some blog or web site of which i have no historical knowledge.

anyone had any experience with TulAmmo?

Kevin Tinny
05-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Hello:

In 7.62X39, it is non-corrosive and has a mild ( soft) steel core. The case is Berdan primed and clear lacquered soft steel. I have shot hundreds of rounds through 100% U.S. parts/built Century Arms C39v2's. The ammo is acceptably accurate and no misfires arose.

TULAMMO IS NOT "SURPLUS" stuff.

Remember, for foreign gov't's to dispose of so-called "surplus" ammo, it must be CONDEMNED!
This MAY mean that stuff is wildly unpredictable. In some instances, due to miss-handling, I have seen such junk register DOUBLE the normal breech pressure because the powder granules had been fractured to 1/2 normal size. Lay a few rounds on rollers and let them revolve for three days. Kaboom!

If you value the rifle, stick with decent ammo.
Regards,
Kevin Tinny
42NY

ken stiles, 0526V
05-29-2017, 02:57 PM
kevin;

thanks for the info. i'm looking at some .30 caliber for my M1A1 and TulAmmo has by far the best price.
i've just never shot any of it.

sounds like it's worth it.

Hello:

In 7.62X39, it is non-corrosive and has a mild ( soft) steel core. The case is Berdan primed and clear lacquered soft steel. I have shot hundreds of rounds through 100% U.S. parts/built Century Arms C39v2's. The ammo is acceptably accurate and no misfires arose.

TULAMMO IS NOT "SURPLUS" stuff.

Remember, for foreign gov't's to dispose of so-called "surplus" ammo, it must be CONDEMNED!
This MAY mean that stuff is wildly unpredictable. In some instances, due to miss-handling, I have seen such junk register DOUBLE the normal breech pressure because the powder granules had been fractured to 1/2 normal size. Lay a few rounds on rollers and let them revolve for three days. Kaboom!

If you value the rifle, stick with decent ammo.
Regards,
Kevin Tinny
42NY

RaiderANV
05-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Tulammo or Tula Ammo is the Tula Cartridge Works facility ah wee tad south of Moscow and is a military manufacture of ammo since the late 1870's. It has also been known to repackage military handgun ammo for Italy and Croatia. I've fire thousand of rounds of it over the years and never a problem. It use to. E super cheap but prices have edged up as it's caught on.

MR. GADGET
05-29-2017, 10:15 PM
Most their ammo is fine.

I would not shoot there 3006 or 308

Both have been known to blow up M1 Garands and M1a guns.

I have had problems with the 308 and 3006 in beltfed guns.
Most common is blown primmers and raised primmers causing probems.
Have had 2 out of battery on the 308 on my 1919.
Best guess was hig primmers with thin cups.
Had a OUT of Battery on the Thompson also.

From that point on I only shoot it in 7.62x54, 762x39, and 223

MR. GADGET
05-29-2017, 10:20 PM
Ken

when you say 30 cal M1A1

So M1 carbine?

Dont do it.
They are pron to problems with ammo like that.
Look up the ammo on CMP web site. They sell good stuff.

I have been shooting LC I got a bunch bulk on strippers and it is first grade and shoots.

ken stiles, 0526V
05-29-2017, 11:16 PM
MG;

what do you mean by 'problems'?

i was going to get a box of 50 to see how it works before buying bulk.

thanks for any specifics.

CMP has Aguila for $.45 a round. https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/438A

Ken

when you say 30 cal M1A1

So M1 carbine?

Dont do it.
They are pron to problems with ammo like that.
Look up the ammo on CMP web site. They sell good stuff.

I have been shooting LC I got a bunch bulk on strippers and it is first grade and shoots.

MR. GADGET
05-30-2017, 08:37 AM
Pressure spike..
Blows primmers, bullets being pushed back, problems with locking lug and op rod blowing out of track on Spike.

Just not worth the risk for guns you can not go find easy.

jonk
06-02-2017, 12:46 AM
I haven't shot their rifle ammo. I have shot their 9mm and 9mm makarov ammo with no issues, and their 12 gauge shells. I also bought some of their primers when primers were scarce and they worked quite fine for the price. No benchrest consistancy, but fine for every day hunting or target shooting.