PDA

View Full Version : HARPER'S FERRY MAYNARD

Will
01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I looking for a 2nd model Maynard carbine and wondering about the one Harper's Ferry produced a few years back. Can anyone share their knowledge/experience with this carbine? Thanks so much..............Will

shilohzowie
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Might I suggest using the search function to find the information you seek. I beleive this subject has been covered not too long ago.

01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
There's a good article in the latest Skirmish Line in which John Holland tells about the Harper's Ferry Maynards and which ones are approved.
I had one for a short time which was very nice looking, but needed a lot of work. The trigger was horrible, the flash hole needed modification, and the headspace was too big so the usual Maynard cases needed to be shimmed. The nice thing about it is that the bluing and case-color were very natural looking, such that from not too far away it looked like a really nice original.
The big problem with the Harper's Ferry Maynards is that quality control was irregular, especially on the earlier guns.

Will
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
How could I get a copy of that article? Thanks...................Will

John Holland
01-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Will,

Click on the email tab at the bottom of this post to contact me directly and I'll send you a copy of my article on Maynards.

Sincerely,
John Holland
Chairman, N-SSA Small Arms Committee

R. McAuley 3014V
01-15-2010, 10:03 PM
John,

You may have heard more on the production numbers, but Harpers Ferry Arms Company had three product lines: a 1763 Model St Entienne flintlock musket; a M-1861 Springfield; and their 2nd Model Maynard Carbine. I'm not certain just how many of the Maynard Carbines were even made but it wasn't very many as I recall, nor do I recall now just who it was that received the remnants after the company folded, but I was thinking that Guy Owen may have got the remnants of the Maynards?

Brannen Sanders would know who got what because I bought one of the St Entienne muskets out of the remnant "assembled" guns that he had received as part of his settlement in 1978. I'm pretty certain that Guy was another of the ones who received a share of the parts, and if any of the carbines were assembled in 1978 or later, I remember seeing some at the Nationals but I wasn't in the market for one even then. Another of our then team members on the 3rd GA, Grady Mallard had one of the M-1861 Springfields and repro Maynard Carbine, because I shot his carbine at the first Nathan Bedford Forrest skirmish held at Union City in 1977. Oh, I still remember getting a face full of hot gas!

Richard McAuley

Will
01-16-2010, 07:38 AM
"I still remember getting a face full of hot gas!"

I've read that some of the HF Maynards had excess head space; was that the reason for the hot gas or something else or is this common with all precussion Maynards? Thanks.............will

RaiderANV
01-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Geez,,,,,

I shor' wish folks would quit using Maynard in the same line or sentence as

...harper's ferry.

But now the words junk and harper's ferry go well together. Green

John D 2nd Va Vol Inf
01-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Low Moreland with Racoon Roughs has a number of the H F Maynards. He was a good friend of Guy Owens. The quality was hit and miss. I have a center fire frame with barrell work by John Bly . It is in .38 Special caliber. It has the appearence of a Second Model Maynard but is in centerfire caliber. Some H F parts were used in this progress. I believe that all these H F parts are long gone by now. JD

Alan Spencer, 7794V
01-19-2010, 08:24 AM
I have one, Parts are very very hard to come by... Mine does rather well, just had it relined and went from there... Go original if your wallet will allow..

Wayne R. Weinert
01-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Would you be interested in an original 2nd model maynard. Has some pitting etc., but a good shooter. wayne

Will
02-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Would you be interested in an original 2nd model maynard. Has some pitting etc., but a good shooter. wayne

PM sent..................Will