PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Miroku 1863 barrel

Steve Blancard
01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I recently picked up a Miroku Navy Arms 1863 Type II musket that had been neglected for many years. The bore is badly pitted. I'm looking for another barrel with an excellent bore, don't care what the outside looks like. This is a back up/loaner musket for reenacting, not skirimishing, so I don't want to put a lot of $$ into it, it's not worth re-lining. I just want to make it easier to clean.

Anybody have one laying around?

Thanks,
Steve

williamslaybaugh
01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
If it's just for reenacting and easy cleaning. You might want to look into reaming the old barrel out. Nothings easier to clean than a smooth-bore. One DIY way, is to get a good cleaning jag and a cleaning rod you can put in a hand drill and use emery paper as a patch. Lots of oil and a worm are handy to have as well. It's dirty and a bit of work but it's cheap.

Steve Blancard
01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Yes, that would be a good back up plan. But would prefer to find a good original Miroku barrel if possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim Brake 3587
01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
You should have the one that came with the rifle lined. I think Bobby Hoyt can line the barrel. 717-662-6696

J Weber 4114V
01-15-2010, 10:26 PM
I had two Miroku Navy Arms 1863 Type II muskets.One I decided to reline and convert to a artillery model.Anyway Bobby Hoyt told me due to how the breech is threaded to the barrel his method of relining will not work.Only way he would do it was to make a new barrel and thread to old breech.This cost a lot more.
Replacing barrel with another mfg is also not a real option. The Miroku tang is about 3/8" longer,the tangscrew holes is different and the barrel contours are off a bit also.
That said chances of finding someone that has a extra laying around seem slim
They are a nice made musket otherwise.My conversion came out well

Steve Blancard
01-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the information. I believe I read of your Miroku rebarreling experience in the archives, and thus did not consider re-lining. While I'm glad it came out good for you, for my use its not worth the expense of going the route you took. It probably is a slim chance finding a good original Miroku barrel, but it never hurts to ask.

I would consider an 1861 Miroku barrel as an alternative if one just happens to be laying the back of sombody's shop. I have enough other parts laying around that it wouldn't take much to make it into an 1861.

Jack C., 69th NY
01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Steve,
Years back, when Butch and Sharon were with Dixie Gunworks, they told me that some of their Miroku kits were opened and parted out. It is worth a call to Dixie, they may have what you are looking for. You have nothing to lose. I think that the Dixie and Navy Arms Miroku products are one and the same ?
Jack

BADSHOT
01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
There was a sutler at the fall national, that had one, I believe he was in the booth next to James River, I do not know his name, but I do know before he moved up to his current location in Sutler row, he used to be the last tent along the creek , where the photographer sets up now, hope this helps someone identify who I'm trying to identify?

Steve Blancard
01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
I'll check with Dixie, who knows what they may have left.

Does anyone know the Fall National sutler mentioned ?

Thanks!

Jim Brake 3587
01-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Mary lou at Rebel Trading Post Has a new barrel and lock for sale. Give her a call at 843-200-7671. She might split them up and sell you just the barrel

Steve Blancard
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM