PDA

View Full Version : German caps

margeo71
05-22-2017, 08:00 PM
Can anyone remember how long it's been since we were able to purchase German caps?

MR. GADGET
05-22-2017, 08:38 PM
About 3 to 4 years for wingless

Rob FreemanWBR
05-22-2017, 08:46 PM
???

I just bought a sleeve of DE caps at the National. I thought/was told, they were German...

John Bly
05-22-2017, 08:54 PM
As far as I know they have always been available, just sometime a little scarce. I've never used anything else. They were available at this Nat's. The packaging looked different but they were there.

jonk
05-23-2017, 01:00 AM
Saw them and Schutzens available.

I switched to Schutzen. Cheaper and seems slightly hotter than the RWS ones.

bobanderson
05-23-2017, 04:47 AM
... seems slightly hotter than the RWS ones.

I tested them using my Maynard action as a holder for cotton patches and then with pieces of target paper.

RWS caps are definitely hotter (did more damage in both tests) but the Schuetzen, a.k.a. Spanish caps, are louder.

With that said, one of our top shooters this past week switched and liked them a lot.

Lou Lou Lou
05-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Gadget
The wingless caps were produced for the early in-line ML's. The technology passed them by. We were buying leftovers until they ran out.

RangerFrog
05-23-2017, 12:35 PM
When I started shooting my Romano Maynard with N-SSA about 8 years ago we were riding high on the clearance sales of the wingless caps... they were good hot German caps that worked really well (just like pistol caps on steroids) with the First Model Maynards. Since we (N-SSA shooters) were about the only ones using them and they had been somewhat over produced when the early in-lines were built, it was a real buyer's market... I only wish I had had the foresight and disposable income to buy 10 or 20 sleeves of them at the cut rate prices!

I've been using the regular German four-wing caps on my Zouave musket pretty much from the git-go, so I have them on hand to use as my last supply of wingless dries up. I guess I'd better grab a bunch of those now that they seem to be in good supply, though.

Froggie

PS Personal to Lou Lou Lou... sorry I missed you @ Nationals... do you still want that shot to block up the extra holes in your lube die??