PDA

View Full Version : P53 Enfield Cartridge Conversion

Jim Cunningham
05-13-2017, 09:12 PM
I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask, but...I recently acquired a P53 Enfield converted to .577 Snider. Does anyone know if it's safe to shoot a blackpowder cartridge with a reduced load. That is, to shoot a cartridge having air space between the charge and the bullet? As a secondary question, does anyone know if it's safe to shoot a cut down 24 gauge hull reloaded with a .590 bullet and 45 grains of 2F? Will the hull split? Will it simply swell and be difficult to extract? If anyone shoots a converted 3 band, I'd be very interested in whatever advice they have to offer.

MR. GADGET
05-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Never shoot BP with an air gap in any metallic cartridge.

dennis g
05-13-2017, 09:47 PM
I've shot 24 gauge plastic hulls with 70 grs. 2f and .590 balls. If your chamber's alright should be no problems. Some Nepalese Sniders have wonky chambers, but if it's a Brit gun, it should be ok. Some say airspace no, others say no problem.

Jim Cunningham
05-13-2017, 10:52 PM
It's an English made mark 2 converted from a P53 with an 1861 dated lock, in very good condition. I would think it would handle bullets better than balls. What do you recommend to take up the air space between the powder and projectile. I would think that shooting cornmeal filler, would be abrasive and bad for the rifling. If I cut down the cases, the create a compression load with 42.5 grains of powder, I'm concerned bullet jump from the breech to the rifling will lead the breech. Would a cushion wad be a better solution? Do you use pure soft lead bullets or harder lead? Thanks.

Smosin
05-14-2017, 10:51 AM
I use foam backer rod, 5/8" diameter, as a filler over BP in my Sniders. Just cut it into an appropriate length to fit between the powder and bullet. Works great.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-5-8-in-x-20-ft-Gray-Caulk-Backer-Rod-for-Gaps-and-Joints-71506/100165680

Also, I shoot pure lead bullets in my Sniders, as it is just a re-purposed muzzleloader. I didn't have very good accuracy with miniƩs, however--my best results have been with a cast .600" diameter 530 gr. flat base rn bullet--mold is available from xringservices@yahoo.com, who also sells Snider and MH cases, btw.

Snider chambers are not profiled like a modern cartridge rifle chamber--cases can be cut down, if you want--Dominion Cartridge in Canada had shorter length Snider cartridge cases in some commercial loads, iirc.

jonk
05-15-2017, 12:27 AM
I never had a problem with cornmeal or cream of wheat; though if you want to play it safe, a plug of floral foam is what a lot of the breach seating guys use over their powder. There is also a product called pufflon that is essnetially a lubricant impregnated vegetable fiber that you can use for taking up space.

I shoot a fair amount of reduced 45/70 loads with cornmeal filler.

As I don't shoot a 577 I can't comment on the conversion process or what brass to use, other than that I have heard of some using magtech brass shotgun cases. If you just want a handful, I'd try buffalo arms. Though if you want a bunch, they get pricey.

toot
05-15-2017, 12:41 PM
I use 24 gauge plastic shot shells with 70 grs of 3 FG. blk. then put in a wad of cotton and a ,600 dia. round ball then put BORE BUTTER on top and shoot it, have had no problems. after 2 to 3 shots the plastic shells develop little pin holes next to the brass, other than that it is cheap and just through them away.

Jim Cunningham
05-15-2017, 01:38 PM
I hate to be so ignorant, but why wouldn't a .577 muzzleloader, accurately shoot .577 bullets when converted to a breechloader? I get great results loading .576 bullets in a .577 muzzleloading barrel, thus wouldn't a .600 ball be too big?

dennis g
05-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Some people think a minie doesn't get enough "bump up" when contained in a cartridge, for best accuracy. Most Sniders have a bore diameter closer to .600 than .577. I use minies to fireform new Magtech 24 gauge brass, and then .600 caliber bullets after that. To really learn more about Sniders, go to Britishmilitariaforums.com. Xring services.com has everything you need, for a very reasonable price, and he's a really nice guy to deal with.

Jim Cunningham
05-15-2017, 08:44 PM
Do you have an email address for Xring services. All I see is a facebook page. I don't have a facebook account, and thus can't contact him

Maillemaker
05-16-2017, 10:18 AM
This fellow on YouTube has several videos concerning the Snider and Snider ammunition, including making modern ammunition for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-f11hM4Sk

He has me interested in one.

I'm actually interested in trying to manufacture new receivers to convert modern reproduction Enfields! :)

Steve

Story
05-16-2017, 10:50 AM
I'd suggest Snider owners tempted to put their weapons back on the firing line drift over to the British Militaria Forums, register & read the old posts. Then if questions remain, you'll be amongst fellow travelers.

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/forums/2/SniderEnfield-Forum

dennis g
05-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Martyn's e-mail is Xringservices@yahoo.com

geezmo
05-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Check this one out. Same guy that Maillemaker was talking about. He's also involved in the britishmilitaria forum, Victorian Riflemen and I think he shoots with the guy from X-ring. I believe he's also been involved on this BB in discussions about Pritchett paper cartridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNgQi4vEDXM

It's the first of two parts. I think part two will come up at the end of the first.

Southron Sr.
05-21-2017, 11:24 PM
In actual fact, the Mark III Sniders are considered "safer" to shoot as the bolt is held closed by a "latch" when the arm is fired.

Back in the early 1980's I purchased a bunch of 1867 dated Snider rounds. A friend of mine brought over a Snider two bander he owned and we fired a few of those "vintage" cartridges. What we found was that approximately 1/3 of the cartridges were "duds," 1/3 were "hang fires" and the other third dicharged with no problem!

My understanding is that a lot of Snider shooters use round balls and get excellent accuracy IF the ball is of the correct size for their bore.

Jeff Tanner over in England makes will make you a round ball mould of almost any diameter you request. I have purchased round ball moulds from him in the past and they are delivered via air mail in a couple of weeks. They are of excellent quality and fit Lyman bullet mould handles.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

So, round balls are another option you might consider.