PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Cannon

Norm Gibson, 4901V
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I have been asked to get this information out to as many people as possible. Thanks, Norm Gibson

My Cannon, limber and covered 18ft Car hauler was stolen from my lot
at 4218 Pelham, Dearborn Heights, MI 48125. Batty B 1st Michigan
Light Artillery's entire gear was enclosed in the well locked up
trailer. My trailer has distinctive bullet hole decals running up
both sides and a giant cannonball splat on the back door. I want to
get this information out as quick as I can. The more eyes we have
looking the better!

U.S. 1841 6pdr cannon mark C.A.&CO 1845 on trunnions 298 over W.V.
on Muzzle
No. 5. Limber U.S. 6 pdr.
Trailer is a 2000 Haulmark 18ft covered car hauler charcoal gray
VIN 16HGB1834YH065667.
Please forward to any and all your C.W. reenactors and reenacting
websites.

Police Contact is: Dearborn Hgts. Police
313 277-6770
Officer Beaudree
Case # 2010-84

Reward!
Thanks
Dr. Bill Vecchioni
313 277-1100
313-274-5412

cannonmn
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Is the cannon tube iron, steel, or bronze? People do call me wanting to sell various cannons so this detail would help in case someone goes to the trouble to remove or conceal markings.

Norm Gibson, 4901V
01-06-2010, 03:45 PM
It is an iron reproduction with ornamental markings on it. The "inspector marks" WV stand for his name. Thanks for your help.

Norm Gibson, 4901V
01-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Great News! Got this update this evening. Thanks everyone for spreading the word.

Well Boys,
Were back in business. Got an anonymous phone call from a couple of"good Samaritans" in Detroit who was really scared of finding a stolen trailer in his neighborhood with a cannon in it after watching the news today. He offered to bring it to me anonymously and he did so around 5pm today. Ole number 5 is back home minus the winch and battery and with a broken side door handle Cursory look thru the inventory in the dark is that all the important stuff is there and I will do a daylight check tommorrow. Have to go back tonight with another padlock for the tongue. Good news is Good news and thanks for all the help the Batty mates put out. Got a call from a fellow cannoneer in Richmond Va this am and he notified the entire east coast about the theft. This afternoon got a call from a fellow in Dallas Tx and he notified the entire southwest of the US. Great Lakes region was notified. What an amazing network of fellow reenactors we have. Description of No. 5 went cross country in a half day..
Thanks all,
Col. Bill