PDA

View Full Version : Revolver suggestions?

Bub524
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Hello, I am thinking of getting in to skirmishing and need some advice on a revolver. Is a 44 the way to go or is a 36 acceptable? Remington or Colt? I don't plan on reenacting, just skirmishing.
Thanks

Mike McDaniel
01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Depends on how much money you are willing to spend and how good a shot you are.

As of this moment, I'd rate the guns as follows:

Top tier - these are the best guns available.
Feinwerkbau Rogers & Spencer
Hege Army Match Maximum (Remington repro)

2nd Tier - these can do with a trigger job, but are good guns otherwise
Pedersoli R&S or Remington

3rd Tier - need more work, but useable
Pietta Shooter's Model (another Remington repro)

For serious Skirmish competition, I would not bother with anything else.

Bub524
01-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I have looked at Uberti's and Euroarms on the net. Any comments on these?

Mike McDaniel
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
At this time, all the lower-end Italian repros are made by either Uberti or Pietta. It doesn't matter who imported them, they came from the same place. Right now, Uberti is considered to do a better Colt repro, Pietta a better Remington.

Colts are not considered shooters. Yes, I'm considering playing with one...but it's more in the nature of a test. EVERY serious shooter is using either a Remington or a Rogers & Spencer.

The problem with the low-end Italian repros is that they need a LOT of work. Typically, only one or two chambers will line properly with the barrel. And they need a trigger job desperately. It takes ~$600 of work by a gunsmith who knows what he is doing to upgrade one of those guns to a match piece.

It's like a musket or carbine. If you want something to make a puff of smoke and send a bullet into the backstop, the Italians can fix you up. But if you want something that can win medals...you'll have to pay for the capability.