PDA

View Full Version : Lube question

Bub524
01-04-2010, 11:36 PM
This may seem like a silly question but here it is.
Why do you lube your minies?
Is it to keep fouling soft or to lube the bullet and prevent lead fouling?
Or a combination of both?
I'm not a skirmisher...yet. Just do a lot of target shooting and am not concerned with rapid fire at the shooting range. I use most bullets as cast, which is a snug fit in the bore, often requiring a swab every 7th or 8th shot.
I have a bee's wax/olive oil/bore butter formula I use to dip the bullets, but don't squirt grease in the base.
30 years ago when I got my first Navy Arms Zouave I had one Lee mould and a tube of bullet grease to fill the base with and they seemed to shoot fair as I recall.
Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
Bob

Bob Eschbach, 3380v
01-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Bob, You are correct in your assumption that lubing a minie ball keeps the fouling soft between shots. Without the lube the fouling gets rock hard will make the rifle impossible to load in just a couple of rounds. Another problem with unlubed or insufficiently lubed minies is that the thin skirts can be sheared off of the bullet and remain in the breech which usually involves removing the breech plug to remedy.
It seems that every skirmisher has a favorite lube or lube recipe. Many of my fellow shooters like MCM lube. I use a concotion of lard and beeswax and I vary the amount of wax according to outside temperatures. (this time of year I use very little wax). If you are using a good lube you shouldnt need to paint the base cavities. With my lube recipe
I can shoot a whole musket company match without cleaning and I keep the minies tight enough in the bore that I can feel them engage the rifling when I ram them. Good luck with your shooting. Bob E

Bub524
01-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I didn't know about the skirt fracturing. I lube all my bullets I just wondered about the mechanics.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Bub,
If you're only getting 7 to 8 shots before swabbing is needed, you may want to change something. You may well need many more shots in one Skirmish event. You may want to consider the following.Put some lube in the base cavity. Change brand of powder; they all fowl in differing amounts. If using FFg, go to FFFg; the finer granulation will shoot cleaner although recoil may be sharper. Just some thoughts on a cold winter day.

J Weber 4114V
01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Here is a example of a "blown skirt" I removed from a teammates carbine.
Hole is from trying to drill vent clear between relays.Ashcan is what she was using.I had to pull breech to drive it out.
Always inspect the minnes cavity.It must be prefect.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/skirtassy.jpg

Bub524
01-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Wow, shooting muzzleloaders for 30 some years and I learn something new. Thanks so much for the tips.

paul w/McGregor's 385V
01-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Bub,
Try sizing your bullets down .001" more than you are currently doing. Will give you several more shots before swabbing is needed.

As for which LUBE? What you are using is as good as any other. looking about to see if Lefty heard that.

Take care and be safe
pfb[/i]