PDA

View Full Version : Starr revolver, anyone use the Pietta?

David Lapell
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I was considering purchasing the Starr DA revolver made by Pietta sold through Dixie Gun Works. I have never even seen one up this way before, but was wondering if anyone has ever used them, or any problems or concerns. I have always had Colt copies like the Walker and the Draggon. I looked at a New Army Remington, but the grip never fit my hand well.

pastore
01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
The Starr double action is not N-SSA approved for competition. I have one of the Pietta Starr DA revolvers. I would not recommend them. Since the rear sight is the hammer notch, you don't aquire a sight picture until you have pulled the trigger far enough to cock the hammer.

Edwin Flint, 8427
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
What I have heard about the Starr, either of them, is not polite enough for a publice forum!! :shock: :wink:

Richard Hill
01-03-2010, 10:16 AM
The main spring on mine very quickly broke and the cylinder does not rotate properly every time due to poorly cut notches. I fired two or three loads (20 gr 3F) with fair accuracy before the thing started to loosen up and spit lead out the side. I think Ed can vouch for this! The gun will need extensive rework before it will shoot reliably.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
01-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I have one and it a good shooter. That is not to say that it did not take a lot of work to get it to this point. I had the misfortune of buying one that had a undersized cylinder. But I was able to get the cylinder opened up and had each cylinder centered. The trigger work was done by my father and to say the least he will never do another. The issue was to many moving parts. You touched/deburred one piece and it affected all the rest. We got it to 3lbs and I did not feel the need to go further, would of taken way to long.

I know that in talking to Tri-L when I bought the gun he was willing to do the cylinder but not the trigger for the above reasons.

The only issue I am having now is the paw that locks the cylinder is worn flat and does not lock the cylinder up. From what I can see of the original Starr, there was a difference between the single and double action cylinders, in the way they were cut for the lug to lock. Pietta went with one cylinder for both types.

With all that aside the gun does shoot great, as long as it locks up properly!