PDA

View Full Version : WTB--Medium Size "Pop-Up" Camper

C.W. Artillery
04-25-2017, 11:10 AM
25 April 2017

I am looking for a "basic", medium size, well cared for and maintained Pop-Up camper trailer, with a current, lien free, state title, to purchase. It must be road worthy with serviceable tires all around, with all appliances in working order, i.e., space heater, refrig, water tank pump, propane stove, A/C desired but optional. Not over 15 years old and with good canvas. Minor cosmetic issues are not a concern. No entertainment electronics needed.

Let's communicate initially via email; and, by phone later to structure our deal. I would expect we could arrange a purchase and sale that would include a delivery over the Spring 2017 Nationals.

Email = < HeyWebb@gmail.com >

Webb Brown

First Maine H.A. (retired)
N.S.S.A.

Maillemaker
04-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Let me tell you about our experience with pop-up campers.

They are nice and easy to tow with not-so-powerful vehicles.

However, condensation is a big deal in humid places. What happens is that at night when it cools off, your breath condenses on the inside of the canvas roof panels. Then every time someone rolls over at night it jiggles the camper and it rains on your face.

Just something to consider.

Steve

Chris Sweeney
04-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Not to mention the fun of folding up wet canvas in the rain- especially if you aren't able to open it up and dry it out for a few days . . .

C.W. Artillery
04-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Not to mention the fun of folding up wet canvas in the rain- especially if you aren't able to open it up and dry it out for a few days . . .

26 April 2017

Thanks Chris for your "heads up" or . . . . more correctly, "wet heads up" . . . I have a buyer for my big camper and was thinking a medium size crank up would be good and could go to places my big guy wouldn't work out. I ran by a dealership and most of them have roof mount a/c units, but of course if there is no 110/220 the small Honda generator would keep one awake most of the night.

I don't think my wet suit will fit any longer so that option is out. Back to the drawing board as they say !

Thanks for your insight

Webb

C.W. Artillery
04-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Then every time someone rolls over at night it jiggles the camper and it rains on your face.

Just something to consider.

Steve

Hi Steve -- Very intuitive, our comment. The dealer that I breezed through had a number of medium size crank up campers and without exception, they all had scissor style jacks mounted at all four corners of the base component . I would think the procedure would be to carry along four adequately sized pieces of 2 inch wood panels to act as footers on the ground for the jack to rest on in loose or damp ground. Then jack to base unit up to eliminate the weight off of the axle leaf springs. The result should be, No More Jiggles at night created by rolling campers ! And if so, that equals no more Rain in the Face !

Agreed ? ?

Regards,

Webb

Maillemaker
04-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Maybe. We now have an ancient motorhome. It has hydraulic jacks that fairly well stabilize the beast, but you can still feel when people are walking around.

The thing is the "beds" are extendy-platforms that are generally supported by a pair of aluminum poles that anchor back to the base of the camper. Even if the base of the camper is jacked up I think you'd get some bounce on the bed wings as people roll over. But I'm 280 pounds. Maybe if you were a normal weight it would be less of an issue.

I'd go look at some at an RV store and climb up in the beds and roll over and have someone watch the canvas roof. :)

Also of course if you can run AC it's no issue at all because all the humidity is gone.

Steve

Hambone
04-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Webb,
You only want to jack the pop-up up far enough to level and stabilize it. You may have to put blocks under 1 wheel to level it. If you jack it up to remove the weight off the springs it will bow the frame and you will not be able to open and close the door.

K. Herrick
04-26-2017, 11:36 PM
I owned a couple of Pop-ups, to eliminate the moisture problem simply unzip one or two "windows" slightly to vent the moisture to the outside.

Kevin