PDA

View Full Version : Brass tubes for Sharps Carbines

12-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Does anybody have experience with the brass cartridge tubes that Pedersoli makes for their Sharps percussion carbines? Compared to using paper cartridges, cardboard tubes, or loose powder?

Charlie Hahn
12-28-2009, 09:58 AM
The brass tube you reference is difficult to make-work in our sport. Here are a few issues. As the paper Sharps does not require precise alignment of the fire path, the breechblock may not be directly on center with the touchhole, causing slow or hang fires. Next the design of the tube requires a rod to push it out, and finally the end of the tube can lodge in the pressure plate opening. Other than that they are great!

To make these or another design work you would need to do the following.

Produce or modify the breechblock to remove the opening behind the gas seal plate. Machine the fire tube to be on center with the chamber. Extend the barrel by about a 1/16 of an inch and headspace the block to allow the use of a flanged case for finger extraction. (If the weapon has a sleeve it can serve as the barrel extension)

Next you will need to produce a special case to fit this purpose, and it will be limited in length so it can be removed.

Last, a new bullet will need to be worked up, or one modified for this application.

Charlie Hahn

12-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks Charlie. I was wondering how one was supposed to remove those brass shells. The Sharps sure ain't no Smith!

Since I have you on the line, do you know who does those O-ring modifications on the Pedersoli Sharps that I've heard so much about?

Charlie Hahn
12-28-2009, 02:11 PM
I do, about $135 bucks

I do the Crowther design

Charlie

Southron Sr.
12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Although I am not familiar with those brass Sharps cases, seems to me that they would not "swell" (obturate) enough to seal the breech and by thrusting back when the arm is fired, would actully defeat the purpose of the "gas check plate" in the Sharps breechblock.

I am perfectly happy using paper cased cartridges in my repro Sharps.