PDA

View Full Version : Triple 7 in percussion revolvers

David Lapell
12-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Does anyone use Triple 7 in their revolvers? I have used it in FFFG for a while now with the Walker when I had it (using load of 30-35 grains) it never gave me a problem. Just wondering if anyone else used this, and has anyone made paper cartridges for their revolvers with Triple 7?

Frog
12-25-2009, 03:23 PM
The N-SSA rules require the use of true black powder. Substitutes like Triple 7 are not allowed.
I doubt many of our members will buy much of the substitutes because we can buy the BP cheaper/pound.

Edwin Flint, 8427
12-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Sounds like you may have a real BP supply problem and are looking at the substitutes. As much as the typical N-SSA shooter uses, we usually buy it in 25# lots either mail order or at the Fort from Back Creek. Lots of suppliers out there for mail order and also retail over the counter.

I have discovered Bass Pro sells real BP but they have to go get it from a vault as Fed regs don't let them put it on the counter. It's more expensive through them, but for just a pound or two, normally folks can find a Bass Pro or other such size sporting retailer that carries it. Also a bunch of Mom and pop operations also.

If you tell us where you live, maybe we can direct you to a local retailer.

R. McAuley 3014V
12-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Although I've never used Triple 7 or Pyrodex, for that matter, it is chiefly because while conventional blackpowder in my area is more expensive or equal in price to Triple 7 and Pyrodex, I've always bought BP in bulk when it was available so I wouldn't have to pay the local 1000% markup. But if you will go up to the top of this webpage and click on "Search", then using "777" or "Triple" there are a number of other replies on Triple 7 load data used by various contributors to this forum.